• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

In-Browser Popups

Matt

Now, this is a long but, but does anyone know of _any_ networks using the DHTML, in-browser popups, as shown here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex11/dhtmlad.htm

One of the major problems we all face, for those of us using popups, is clients immediately closing any popup, without knowing what the popups contains or even knowing if the contents might interest them. It would be nice to be rid of the wasted impressions and the seemingly low tracking rates(which are not really low, they simply reflect the many ways popups are avoided) we all see in our statistics.

Robert from SI, Dan from DkAds, and any other networks on these forums: Would you employ this method?

Matt,

FastClick's InVue format is similar in application to this, as are the rich-media superstitials and 'takeover' variants offered by Unicast, EyeBlaster, United Virtualities and such.

The three latter names are obviously tech players rather than media companies, but they do offer solutions suitable for both large publishers and networks (Engage used to be big on Unicast, and both DoubleClick and Advertising.com have dabbled in beyond-the-banner formats such as these on a limited basis).

Of course, you're free to design your own to either cross-promote a commercial property of your own, or to promote a range of individual CPC, CPA or CPS programs (conditional on the terms associated with a given campaign, of course).

I dont like invue personally, when I look at it myself it didnt close. This one at least closes after a few seconds

Secondly this one works in all browsers not just IE

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear at least one network has taken a similar approach. Besides popup-killers, for which I'm not aware of statistics as to the percentage use of these, I think this format could really improve performance for both advertiser and publisher. I wish Ad Networks were a little quicker to hop on. RedRival, by itself, has attempted to sell advertising before without decent volume being bought up. So we rely on networks still.

Damoose: I'm quite sure anti-popup programs can, or will in the future, eliminate these types of ads as they are simply a little bit of obvious code.

ugh, this is totally wrong!
if people don't like the ads, or don't have the time for it, no matter how you force them to view the ads, they just won't like it. most likely they will get annoyed and not visit the site anymore.
popups, and its variants should also considered as spam, throwing out stuffs to people that don't ask for it, sometime it steals their browser window focus, sometime it generates intrusive sounds, and now it's uncloseable, this has gone too far.

I think I know what cause the perfectly suited ad media for the internet: banner ads, don't work anymore, it's because the creators begin to put too much bullshits on it.
ads should be made interesting, making people that want a "A", they click it, and they got the "A".
look at those ads nowadays, no wonder noone ever want to even view the ad.
for example of some ads:

Message Alert: You Have One PRIZE Waiting! what the heck? everybody knows that nothing is free on this earth, so that kind of ads just ruin everything.

not all ads are bad though, but many of them are also lack of strength to encourage people to see what's inside their ads.

no matter how you force them to view your ads, if the ads itself doesn't sound interesting for them, it just won't work.

EDIT: oh, I forgot something:
Have you ever think why on earth there are lots of popup killers recently?

<<edited some cuss words - no need for that here thanks!>>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt that if this format ever became wide-spread, the anti-popup programs would then target this and eliminate it. However, for the many, many people who simply click the X on the window(and this is the majority) before the popup loads, this format would eliminate that.

As unfortunate as it is, the Internet needs a format that can not ignored easily, if only to appease advertisers. If someone really wants, they can walk away from the monitor just as they do they television, now.

Personally, I dislike the intrusive and annoying advertising we've been forced to implement. On the other hand, services need to make money and this direction is where the money is. We've tried all the rest and we're going with what's stable.

Regarding "lots of popup killers": It may look that way on web-savvy forums like this, or in certain circles, but I can assure you the number with the ability to block popups is, most likely, less than 5% - and I would venture less than 1%.

Back