• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

IBM thinkpad Recovery CD not working

XeonGX

Hello,
I have an IBM Thinkpad R52, When I bought it, it came with 8 recovery CDs.
Supplemental CD, Boot CD, Recovery CD 1-6.
Recovery CD 2 and 3 give me a cyclic redundancy error.
Now I can't install windows xp again to my laptop.
I can't buy another set of recovery CDs because they cost too much.
I have the Windows XP sticker on the back of my laptop, It has Product Key printed on it, Can I download windows XP, and install it on my laptop, then activate it with that product key?
Whats the use of product key?

That would be okay as you have the product/license key on the machine, might be a hassle getting all the drivers, and the rest of the software supplied on the recovery CD's.

Maybe someone else has a set that could be copied for you - that's allowed too IBM and others do tend to overcharge for extra sets of these.

I downloaded/installed windows xp from a torrent, when i entered the product key, it didn't accept it. so i entered the fake product key, then updated with the real product key after it was installed.
good thing IBM has ThinkVantage system update. it downloaded all of the drivers automaticly :)

Glad it worked okay - you must have had one of the lovely OEM keys that only work with recoveries. Always hated them.

Back