• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I need some input on this build.

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
My girlfriends laptop recently bit the dust, and we've decided that putting the $300 it would cost to replace the motherboard towards a new desktop would be the best choice.

I've not build a computer for years, and I am not familiar at all with the latest hardware. I've done some reading and brushed up a bit. My goal is for low cost with lots of room to upgrade.

Here's what I've come up with

I originally was going to go for the DDR2 version of that motherboard, but for $40 more total I could upgrade to the DDR3 board AND get 4GB of DDR3 ram. I figured this would allow me better options in the future for upgrades when there is more money lying around.

Integrated video for now, but I have a Radeon 4670 on order for real cheap that should play all her games for her just fine.

Any input or suggestions?

for something low cost, i'd say it's a good setup.

Remember the days when we would have started drooling just to click the mouse on something like that? Technology is amazing.

That is good enough setup. I think you need to think about what how will you use it and according that you will make the decision
Pretty good config

Seems good, I'm not a big fan of the AMD proc but seems like a fine setup. You may also look for 1 TB drive, they can be as cheap as the 500 GB on special

I'd say swap the AMD for an Intel Core2Duo or Core 2 Quad, depending on your budgets. Also graphics, I'd swap them for an NVIDIA, but apart from that such a nice simplistic setup. As your case sounds old, I'd say swap the power supply for the new one, gives your girlfriend's PC a newer longer life.

The Athlon II's are new, they look pretty fast. As for speed, it will most definitely outperform any Core2Duo ;). Looks like a nice processor for the price. You could even run DDR3 1333 MHz, if the motherboard supports it (I'm too lazy to check :p).

Intel products are too expensive for me. AMD seems to have the best Price:performance ratio. To be on the safe side I paired up an ATI video card with the ATI chipset.

The motherboard supports up to at least DDR3 1800. I'll get that later.

I think I'll try and find a way to pawn my computer off on her and claim the new one as my own.

Back