• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I love my ISP

Bruce

NLC
The following is nothing more than a rant, so read at your own discretion. IF you wish not to, please click the back button on your browser now. Thank you.

I remember another member here who always complained about their DSL service, Needcgispace, wasn't it? Anyway, I never had any major issues with them so I didn't think much of it. Everything was fine up until about a week ago. I'm provisioned for 3000/768k and I generally got pretty close to those speeds, 2800/680k or so. My pings were never great, but they weren't bad either. 40-60ms was average and I was still able to find a decent amount of game servers where I could play. Then came the problems. Late Monday/early Tuesday (21st/22nd) browsing the web just seemd abnormally slow. I new something wasn't right, so I did another speed test. Instead of getting 2800/680k I got 283/380k. What!?! OK, something isn't right here, lets try a traceroute. 150ms to the ----ing DSLAM at the central office and 20% of my packets are still getting dropped there. By the time I actually got to Google my pings were nearly 200ms and I was losing nearly 30% of my packets.

Enter Verizon Tech Support. After waiting on hold for 45-60 minutes, and if by some luck of the draw you get someone who actually speaks ----ing English, you wish they didn't after you hear the garbage spewing out of their mouth. They're trained monkeys who can do nothing more than read off of script cards. "Suddenly I'm experiencing really high latency and a lot of packet loss." They go on with the useless restart your computer and modem replies. When you try to explain the problem is with their network they get all defensive. "No, sir. The problem must be your computer. Our network is fine" they say. If the problem is my computer, then can you please tell me why I'm getting 30 ----ing percent packet loss on your network, please? "Would you like to create a support ticket?" they may ask after all of this nonsense. They tell you a tech will look into it and they will call you back.

OK, so the next day comes around. You still don't hear from them, so you call support back and wait on hold for another 45 minutes. When you hear the Indian speaking broken English on the other line, you ask about the trouble ticket from yesterday. What's that? They have no ----ing record of you even contacting them yesterday! Wonderful.

And of course, the issue still hasn't been resolved, and likely won't be in the near future. There's an entire group of us, from all over the ----ing state of Maine, and none of us have gotten anywhere with their support. Verizon has basically told all of us that we're the only one's who are having this problem when all of us have called. This just pisses me off. They are so incompetent.

Because of their advertising of their $15 DSL package all of their equipment is overly congested. They just can't handle all of their users at once, but that should be their probem, not mine. I don't care if they want to make money, I want to be able to use the service I'm ----ing paying for whenever I want. If I have to do something important online, I basically have to do it between 2 and 5am or risk it timing out. It is ----ing ridiculous. I'm still stuck in the rest of a 1-year contract agreement, so I can't really change providers at the moment.

Now if there are still any readers left, congratulations on making it through. I'm sure it mustn't've been easy. :p

Now while on the topic, if there even really wasn one to begin with, anyone else have any horror stories about their ISP? You've now heard mine.

I never liked Verizon DSL, I had it for one year an every month it felt like it was getting slower, I got cable now from bright house down here in the Tampa Bay area and I'm loving it.

I would also be angry if that happened to me.
Good luck

I've gotten rid of Sympatico, sick and tired of being routed through New York and Chicago to get to Toronto. I was also sick and tired of my PPPoE sessions being dropped.

yeah man. i got verizon too. there was one point where my service was DOWN for two whole days. a few of my friends who also have verizon were down during then so it obviously wasnt my computer. they gave me the same bull---- that they gave you but it ended with them saying that there was nothing that they could do and that their people were looking at the issue. i hate verizon....but its still better than comcast.

You're lucky with the 150ms, bud. Some mornings I have 3 second latency to DSLAM, 90% packet loss. Power cycling won't do ----.

Cable is probably just as bad in Maine.

I love my new ISP. Finally peering in Montreal and Toronto!

If you care about your ping, you'd actually want to stay away from cable if you're close to your CO.

Cable (Adelphia) isn't really an option anyway... since I have no cable TV they would completely rape me on the price.

I've had fiber available here for a couple of years now, but it kinda sucks because they cap it at 2mbit. The pings are nice though.

GWI, a local ISP here, rolled out their ADSL2+ packages recently, with speeds up to 20mbit. Their equipment is more than up to the task, unlike Verizon's...

I must say I do have a decent number of options, but I just need to wait 'til my contract with Verizon is up.

Last edited:
Now I know to stay away from Verizon in the future. Thanks for the heads-up ;)

I haven't had much bad experiences with ISPs, but I've had the following:
AOL: One giant virus.
Wal-Mart Connect: Cheap knock-off of AOL.
PeoplePC (my current ISP): lag, lag, lag; 900 number for support (yes, they charge YOU to call tech support). I'm thinking of switching to another ISP once we move on to our new computer in the near future. Also, their pop-up blocker is bad, and their e-mail service is horrible. Ugh.

Ive had Cox Communications (Cable) for a few years and have had pretty good luck with them. Usually their support is stupid, but then again what place isn't. Any problems I have had have been promptly fixed.

Your story sounds much like the experience I have had with Cingular wireless-nothing short of HELL

My current cable provider (Rogers Canada) is great. 6mbit/800kbit connection which works at 90% of those speeds always. ping is <10ms always. I also called them and threatened to switch to 3web, and they reduced my price by 10$/mth for a year so I would stay with them.

Bruce, what are you waiting for, get the FU** out of that contract and go to 20mbit. That's just crazy. You could download, well, just about anything you could imagine in <30min, and that's the heaviest stuff. I would be on 20mbit SO fast if I were you.

Let Me Tell you what you can't afford

High Ping -> Lose in w/e online game you are playing -> Be called a newb by some kid -> Stress goes up -> You call the company and they tell you to hold and hang up on you -> Stress goes up -> Heart Attack -> Heavy Medical Bills.

If you ignore the intermediates, High ping leads to heavy medical bills :p who provides 20mbit residential service by the way? How much is it? I thought that was just Japan that had 10mbit and higher for residential anyways.

striker said:
I thought that was just Japan that had 10mbit and higher for residential anyways.

100mbit is $40/month in Sweden, 22mbit is $45 in London, Verizon offer FIOS which is 15mbit for $45, etc.

10Mbit isnt alot anymore...

Bruce, good thinking. Adelphia is horrible apparently. Though is Verizon Fios available? It's supposed to be good.

striker, would you like to pay the $150+ cancellation fee? Especially when your service is almost up? Sure, go ahead. :rolleyes:

Bruce is in the middle of nowhere, whereas I'm in the middle of everything. Seeing as how much it costs to lay fiber, we should get FIOS around the same time Q.E.D.

They're only laying it out in commuter neighborhoods with people that have lots of dough.

striker said:
who provides 20mbit residential service by the way? How much is it?.
Great Works Internet. 20/1mbit is $60, which isn't too bad really. That's basically how much it was for 768/128k from Verizon not too many years ago. My how time changes.

FiOS, Daniel? I guess I could cut you some slack since you're a Canuck. :p
No, it's not, and won't be anytime soon. I live in a "city" (and I do use that word loosely) of 35,000, and it's the 2nd largest "city" in the state. We're not exaclty their target area. ;)

Oxford Networks, again another Maine-based provider, is in the middle of a 4 year plan to lay fiber throughout the entire city. FTTH has been available in my neighborhood for just about 2 years now, but as I said in a previous post, they cap it at 2mbit.

needcgispace said:
striker, would you like to pay the $150+ cancellation fee? Especially when your service is almost up? Sure, go ahead.
I thank you for your reasoning.

Since you said FTTH was available, I assumed Verizon FiOS wouldn't too far behind.

Bell(incumbent Telco monopoly here) has just cancelled their plans for ADSL2+, moving straight to VDSL2(meaning available in 2007-08 instead of the end of this year). While I'm no longer a customer to Bell, I'm still using a reseller, which use Bell's copper wiring to the house and DSLAM business, but that's it. Virtually any upgrades Bell makes to the network(upgrades, yeah right), will affect me.

FTTH is still 10 years off. So you're lucky in that respect. I'm still rolling on ADSL 3mb sync(2.5mbps real), whereas for the same price cable is available at 6.5mbps. I hate cable though.

well looks like my 6mb line pales in comparison deeply against japanese and swedish connections. :(:(:(

Also, normally to get out of a contract you have to pay xx.xx$ for each remaining month. I wasn't aware there was a flat contract-escape fee.

Back