• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

how to stop ad-blockers

Neftha,

The Standard ver of Antiadbuster detects ad-blockers and hybrid ad-blockers (like adsubtract pro which block standard ads + pop-up ads) but will not detect pure pop-up killers like Pop-up stopper, ultimatepopupkiller etc which are pure pop-up killers which just block pop-up but not standard banners ads and affiliate links.

See this thread for more info about pop-up blocking http://www.antiadbuster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19

I am not saying that you should use ad-blockers, but if you want to test here are some ad-blockers that work without any problems with XP 98, Me etc www.admuncher.com , adsubtract (which is a very popular one)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Celicaphile
That's why you would need to explain to them why you are doing it and why ad blocking is bad....don't we all agree that that kind of software can/will mean the end to a large percentage of web sites...those that depend on ad revenue to survive. Maybe explain to them that w/out anti-ad blocking, you would have to charge for membership...

Something to the effect of...

"The existance of this site depends on your support of advertising as a means of generating income. Without ad revenue, many sites will fail, or turn to a membership based system. Supporting companies that release ad blocking software is detrimental to the survival of the majority of sites on the web.

"You are seeing this because you may have ad blocking software installed on your computer. If you are aware of this and would like to view the site, please disable, or remove the program attempting to block our ads."

perhaps i should start a new thread here, but I think there really is a fine line where we as publishers can draw our viewers. I like to look at current media types (such as tv, radio, newspaper, ect) and the concept behind advertising is to attract the viewer about an interesting offer. Let's look at an example

a person watches TV. They see a commercial they love, they watch it, and the regular program comes back on after the commerical

or

a person watches TV. They see a commercial they cant stand, they turn the channel, and find another program to watch.

Perhaps your seeing the analogy by now, but by forcing viewers to see pop ups and threatening to take away the "free" part of the site, we're really not going to get anywhere. What am I getting at? I dont really know at this juncture, but I wouldn't force my viewers or scare them into viewing/clicking my ads. I'd rather find a way to attract them, whether than be through full screen ads, pause ads, or other technology. This type of program scares me, to be honest. I dont want to be forced to watch the commercials i hate, and I can't stand listening to advertising on the radio. When an actual good commercial comes on the TV/radio, I listen and watch, but if someone were to force me to listen or watch, they wouldn't catch me on their station again.

edit, i found it very ammusing to see a pop up on the antiadbuster site :) i'm guessing that ad is utilizing their software ;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by ningaming

a person watches TV. They see a commercial they cant stand, they turn the channel, and find another program to watch.

That's not completely true. Let's face it, commercials on television are the breaks you need to get your cup of coffee, to visit the toilet, etc :) I don't know the frequency of ads in the USA, in The Netherlands it's something like every 30 minutes (on commercial tv channels) or between programs (public non-commercial channels).

Websites and television work in a different way. I admit, not all types of ads are usable for websites. Especially the newer types, like ads "between" pages are terrible (in my opinion). Pop-ups, especially the agressive ones where you can't find a close button or link, can make surfing the web a nasty adventure as well. We also have to be honest about the fact that regular banners don't pay a single dime unless you have loads and loads of traffic.

It's okay to think of something to attract people to your site but it's not okay to have an attractive site with a lot of visitors and you can't pay the hosting bills. It's the webmaster's creativity to have a good balance of profitable ads without annoying the visitor.

I also think visitors and software programmers should respect the work of webmasters. To give you a little example to think about: how would television channels react if I created some kind of filter for televisionsets to filter out all kinds of advertisments?

I saw a popup the other day advertising a popup program, whats the point, contradictive or what.

Originally posted by neftha
To give you a little example to think about: how would television channels react if I created some kind of filter for televisionsets to filter out all kinds of advertisments?
It's called Tevo.

Originally posted by funtoon
Well I am one of the developer from Antiadbuster!
cool...I'll give it a try now ;)
maybe the FAQ should be a little more clear...or maybe I just need more sleep :p

people are spoiling it for themselves:

- without commercials, television channels will not be able to fund good movies, television shows, etc ... resulting in more pay channels
- without pop-ups/pop-unders etc. website managers will not be able to create and maintain high quality websites resulting in less websites and less to surf around the www

Maybe I'm just to negative :) most visitors don't have adblockers and take the ads for granted

Originally posted by neftha

That's not completely true. Let's face it, commercials on television are the breaks you need to get your cup of coffee, to visit the toilet, etc :) I don't know the frequency of ads in the USA, in The Netherlands it's something like every 30 minutes (on commercial tv channels) or between programs (public non-commercial channels).

Websites and television work in a different way. I admit, not all types of ads are usable for websites. Especially the newer types, like ads "between" pages are terrible (in my opinion). Pop-ups, especially the agressive ones where you can't find a close button or link, can make surfing the web a nasty adventure as well. We also have to be honest about the fact that regular banners don't pay a single dime unless you have loads and loads of traffic.

It's okay to think of something to attract people to your site but it's not okay to have an attractive site with a lot of visitors and you can't pay the hosting bills. It's the webmaster's creativity to have a good balance of profitable ads without annoying the visitor.

I also think visitors and software programmers should respect the work of webmasters. To give you a little example to think about: how would television channels react if I created some kind of filter for televisionsets to filter out all kinds of advertisments?

i understand people leave their rooms when commerials come on, but that is not the case for the majority of advertising. Otherwise, TV advertising would be a waste if no one was there :) but i understand your point, and it is valid, web and TV are diffrent media types, but the theories behind advertising remain the same, nevertheless.

To give you a little example to think about: how would television channels react if I created some kind of filter for televisionsets to filter out all kinds of advertisments?

that's quite simple, tv remote :) its also been done with tv's that record inforamtion over a tape/hard drive that do in reality take out advertising (it records the show only and cuts out advertising) their extremely expensive, and extremely difficult to install.

the fact remains, we agree, its up to us to find a creative way to display banners/pop ups. And we need to do it fast....

I can think of only one time when people would want to watch commercials and that is during the superbowl in fact I know of some people who just watch the ads and watch something else instead of the game........

I honestly believe blocking pop blocking programs is ridiculous. In fact the whole Internet Advertising Industry is ridiculous. Where is the IAB? Shouldn't they be suing companies who are making pop blocking software? They are supposed to be setting the standards for Internet Advertising yet, they aren't stopping the uncloseable pops, full page pops, and all the other nonsense going on. Some thing has to change!

Originally posted by Hobo
I can think of only one time when people would want to watch commercials and that is during the superbowl in fact I know of some people who just watch the ads and watch something else instead of the game........
Yea, I know what you mean. I myself do that, I could care less about the game, but the commercials are awesome. :)

Ads can be good sometimes, I can bear with one pop-up per session but more than that it annoys me.

I find some good technology/prodcuts related ads on some specific technology sites, It lets me know what new stuff is around.

Again I feel if webmasters could target there ads according to there specific sites and server only limited pop-up (say one per day or session) it would make every one happy, webmasters make some money and visitors don’t get annoyed :)

Last edited:
Of course, but what will we as webmasters make with one pop up per unique/per day? Probably $10/day for the average webmaster maybe $20. $300-$600/month isn't enough to pay some of our server bills, let alone make us a little money for all the time we put into our sites.

Originally posted by Miller
Yea, I know what you mean. I myself do that, I could care less about the game, but the commercials are awesome. :)

I guess great minds do think alike ;)

My biggest problem at this moment is the monopolism of USA ad programs, refusing to pay for European traffic and (especially) refusing members because of their nationality. I, for example, can NOT join PopUpTraffic and related programs. PopUpSponsor was so kind to make an exception but it didn't generate the revenue I need. With 1500 unique visitors a day, it only generated $0.6 a day. That's not enough. Most of those programs make big promises like $3 - $5 CPM. Alternatives are not available. Fastclick and other HQ programs are reluctant to accept entertainment websites. Other pop-up programs display terrible and unethical ads or pay only a $1 CPM.

Somehow Internet is very USA oriented, especially when it concerns advertisments. Allthough I do not have anything against the USA, it is a bloody shame I can't join certain programs because I am Dutch and only because they have a large amount of fraud cases from this country. We have a name for that in The Netherlands, it's called discrimination. It's also a bloody shame that these kind of programs, like PUT, show ads to all but not pay for all.

Anyway ... website advertising is a difficult thing. That's just too bad because the only thing I would like to do is create nice and beautiful websites. At this moment I am more busy to finance it, instead of updating it :(

I found the Anti-Theft thing at http://www.anti-leech.com

You have to put some javascript code at your .html page and then it checks if people have popup-blockers. You can decide if you want to block these people or only track how many there are.

Originally posted by later
I have about 8000 unique visitors per day at my site, but my popup sponsors only counts 4000 popups.

I think that most people at my site have these popup blocker programs. Is there any way to avoid these programs so that I will generate more popups?

Well 1/2 pops isn't that bad, its about what I get from fastclick.

I guess most of the pop-under networks, undercount 25% is common but I have seen some do more than 60 :(

And add to this the % of traffic using pop-up blockers, so 50% I guess is kind of okay.

Back