• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

how to stop ad-blockers

later

I have about 8000 unique visitors per day at my site, but my popup sponsors only counts 4000 popups.

I think that most people at my site have these popup blocker programs. Is there any way to avoid these programs so that I will generate more popups?

woah, if that really works the it is amazing, i cant believe that, wohooo. i found my friend, lol.

do you put the script on all your pages or do you just have to put it on one.....

I believe you put it on any page w/ ads; however, you need to change those pages from .html to either .asp or .php...

Is there anything out there like this that doesn't require you to change the extension on your pages? I'd hate to have to go through and resave or rename over 100 pages...I'd also like to know if there's a script written in Perl...

Has anyone used this and know for sure that their sales/leads have gone up as a result? Any loss of traffic due to the popup warning?

i tried it and my main page turned into a forwarder to the message and i dont even have a popupblocker on, heh. i failed.

That's why you would need to explain to them why you are doing it and why ad blocking is bad....don't we all agree that that kind of software can/will mean the end to a large percentage of web sites...those that depend on ad revenue to survive. Maybe explain to them that w/out anti-ad blocking, you would have to charge for membership...

Something to the effect of...

"The existance of this site depends on your support of advertising as a means of generating income. Without ad revenue, many sites will fail, or turn to a membership based system. Supporting companies that release ad blocking software is detrimental to the survival of the majority of sites on the web.

"You are seeing this because you may have ad blocking software installed on your computer. If you are aware of this and would like to view the site, please disable, or remove the program attempting to block our ads."

I actually tried it on my own website and it worked very good. I had some problems though to test it (not all ad-blocking software is supported) and had to find the right program to do so. I removed it though as I didn't know what it does to search engine spiders and stuff like that.

I also feel you don't really have a problem with ad-blocking software. Most common reasons for lower stats on your pop-up program:

1) your pop-up program will (probably) only pay for USA/English traffic
2) visitors hate pop-ups: they will close them automatically and most pop-up programs only pay for fully loaded pop-ups

I have the same problem with my site. I currently receive 1400-1700 unique hits a day, only 500-900 are counted.

Originally posted by loggerheads
even if this did work, I think most ad blocking people would see the message, think screw that and click back.

That's probably true but than again ... I really get annoyed by companies writing this kind of software and by people complaining about pop-ups. I realize that some websites really do it the bad way (more than 2 pop-ups a page and not being able to close them or closing them will even open more pop-ups) but do people really expect I do it all for free? I like my website, I do it for the fun but visitors can not expect from me to pay the hosting costs from my own money ... maybe it sounds very commercial but a website should pay for itself, just like a company. It's like television ... without commercials, it wouldn't exist. People accept that ... they should also respect ads on websites.

I think it all comes down to ignorance...I used my argument & the response I got was that he'd prefer a web 1/3 the size that it is now...that it would make his job easier...whatever that is, I don't know...he said he was a hacker & could take my sites down and not to piss him off...damn 30yr old children...
Some people just don't care about other people...and there's nothing you can do about 'em...so, I say use this software and just say F*** 'em!
But again, I'd rather not convert my whole site to .asp or .php, since I just took the redesign live w/ almost 200 pages...So, I'll ask again, do you guys know of anythin like this, but written in perl, or a way that will allow me to keep my pages as .html?

how do I change the html pages to asp is it just a matter of saving them or do I have to edit the html?

from their FAQ at:
http://www.antiadbuster.com/faq.php

Q: I don't know ASP or PHP is it tough to install these scripts?
A: You don't need to know ASP or PHP the installation is so simple its just one line of code that you need to add to your page, if you have problems installing it on your server please use the contact form and we will help you.

Q: I know my hosting company supports PHP / ASP but all my pages are ending with .htm and .html not with .PHP or .ASP how can I install Antiadbuster?
A: Well you will need to convert your .htm page to .asp or .php (Don't worry you don't need to know ASP or PHP programming to do this, just follow the steps given below)

Make sure you make a backup of your existing files before you make these changes!

Suppose you want to install Antiadbuster on your site on the page index.htm (I am assuming that you have PHP installed on your server)

To convert your index.htm to index.php you just need to rename your file index.htm to index.php, Now open your index.php file and add this code on the first line before any of the HTML tags and save the file.

<?php include 'adbust/antiadbuster.php'; ?>

That's it, you have installed Antiadbuster!

Regarding Installation For ASP users If you server supports SSI you dont even need to modify the html files, you can use the SSI includes.

Regarding PHP version, read the readme.txt file and the faq as posted above.

In case of help you can mail support@antiadbuster.com

I thought your user name looked familiar ;)

Welcome to the forums :classic2:

Originally posted by funtoon
Regarding Installation For ASP users If you server supports SSI you dont even need to modify the html files, you can use the SSI includes.

From the same FAQ as above:

Q: Can I use SSI (Server Side Includes) to install Antiadbuster?
A: No you should not use SSI to install Antiadbuster, We have found errors on some Unix Variants while using SSI. Though you many use SSI to install Antiadbuster it is not offically supported.

Hi Celicaphile,

Well I am one of the developer from Antiadbuster!

Well the problem with SSI is for the PHP version, Not all but some Linux Variants were giving problems, hence we were saying people <B>not</b> to use SSI with PHP ver.

(You can try integrating Antiadbuster code using SSI on yourr linux/Unix server and if it works fine, there is no problem with that.)

But I think the ASP version should work fine with SSI, let me know if you face any problems!

Last edited:
Allthough I do not use it anymore, I can really recommend the script if that is what you want. I installed it with PHP and it really did what it has to do. If you do not want people to access your pages withouth getting the ads ... just give it a try, you have nothing to loose. I feel it can be very usefull if you want to cut down on your data transfer.

Don't know about ASP or SSI ... php was installed in a minute. The installation of a pop-up blocker (to test the script) was the most difficult thing for me as most of them didn't work well with Windows XP (Internet Explorer crashed over and over again on those programs).

Back