• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to create your own webhost

sharkbyte

im not sure if this belongs here, but here it goes!:
1: make a webserver (ex:install linux on an old computer, and install apache)

2: upload your files.

3:use a free host script. some include: http://solutionscripts.com/vault/homefree/
http://www.xav.com/scripts/genesis/
and: http://www.myidealscript.com/products/webhost_free.html

4: set the script up (using documentation)

5: you should be up now!

if you want to know how to set up a server on your windows computer (not very secure) just post here asking for it and it should come.

Originally posted by X-Istence
Do note that installing Linux can be a hard thing to do, and settin up Apache as well.
Its not a hard thing to do,I set it up with no problem.Too bad that server was useless and i reinstalled windows....

Originally posted by dsgdevil
Its not a hard thing to do,I set it up with no problem.Too bad that server was useless and i reinstalled windows....

Uhm, set up a proper server, secure it and try to make it hack proof so you dont get hacked after being up for 2 minutes.

?'s

Don't you have to have a fairly fast computer to host with a good speed, and a fast connection?

actually, you dont NEED a fast connection nor a fast computer. its just reccomended. and also, i dont think that a slow computer affects the reliability,spped and downtime much especially if your running it in command mode (without x-windows), which you should probaly do if its a dedicated server since it might make the server more of everything and you wont be paying much attention to it.

I have a bunch of old 486dx2 sitting in the basement. And a 256k dsl connection. Would all of that work?

What Windows can serve webpages?

Originally posted by 10thwonder
I have a bunch of old 486dx2 sitting in the basement. And a 256k dsl connection. Would all of that work?

What Windows can serve webpages?
first of all make sure your ISP allows you to run a server, a lot have a clause against just that in their contract.

You'll also need a decent dsl router and know how to forward incoming port 80 to your webserver and a firewall won't hurt against HTTP attacks either.

Which OS you pick doesn't matter if it's behind a dsl router since noone on the internet can get to it in the first place.

I don't really expect a 486dx2 to be any good at serving webpages sorry.. unless it's all static content and no scripts maybe.
If you pick Apache as a webserver it'll run on any Win9x/NT/2k/XP computer although any of the last three would be preferable.

What? Do you mean what version of Windows can support a webserver? All of 'em older than 95 (only because there aren't reliable webservers for older versions.)
But I STRONGLY encourage you to download Slackware or Mandrake and set Linux up on it instead, you'll have better uptime (unless you use Windows XP, which has comparable uptime, but I doubt you're gonna get XP on a 486DX :p )
A 256k DSL connection would be okay but check with your ISP's TOS to make you're you're allowed to host websites. Don't, uh, ask them, because if it's not there they didn't think about it and too bad for them and, um, if you ask them they might 'remember' and add it :p
[edit]
Darn CareBear, types faster than I do :p

Originally posted by notnamed
Darn CareBear, types faster than I do :p
:p

A computer that just sits in a corner and isn't interactively used will only crash as a result to a poor webserver, it's fairly OS independant.

However you cannot run a webserver in a command- or shell-prompt only mode when you install Windows, and Windows will take up a lot of processor power with it's interface. In Linux you just close XFree86 (XWindows) and you have your webserver chugging happily along taking most of the power for itself.
And when you're running a couple of 486DX's, you want to give the largest amount of horsepower to the server, naturally.

1. Majority of Cable/ADSL companies do NOT permit the use of servers on there connections. Many go as far as to block port 80 (Default HTTP port)

2. Your computers gonna be on 24/7 which on windows isn't gonna happen.

3. When starting a free host remember abuse will kill it within a matter of days. Using one of those automated scripts is just gonna screw you over.

There's to many free hosts allready out there to much abuse and no money in the ad market. If you want to host a few friends the server Idea's good if its to setup a proper free host its just not worth it.

I just want to host my own pages, then I get what I want. Is that possible? My ISP is a huge company that only serves about 5,000 people. So bandwidth is not a problem. Nothing in the TOS.

I also have a P2 300mghz with 128mram sitting around collecting dust too. XP runs slow on it but it works, would that be better?

Since hosting companies in general (free & paid) don't always gives you what you want, the idea of setting up your own server gets very interesting :)

If your website doesn't fit in most of the best free hosts, if you don't trust a distant server or are just tired of searching, you can just set up a small server and use it for personnal use. I'd do it, but I'm lacking 3 things : some extra computers, skills and patience.

To the people who can do it and are interested by it, you can make good use of that idea :p

Originally posted by 10thwonder
I just want to host my own pages, then I get what I want. Is that possible? My ISP is a huge company that only serves about 5,000 people. So bandwidth is not a problem. Nothing in the TOS.

I also have a P2 300mghz with 128mram sitting around collecting dust too. XP runs slow on it but it works, would that be better?

Yes, that would be enough, if you're only hosting your own site & files. But your upload speed has to be pretty high if you xant the visitors to have a fast loading site.

How to Know Your Upload Speed

One way to check your upload speed is: check with your ISP
Another way is: use a program (for windows, analogx.com makes one in the networking section, but i havnt found one for linux yet)
And The Last Way Is: goto a site that will check it for you.Cnet.com does it.

Port 80

If only me cable company would unblock port 80 and allow servers.

But i geuss a dedicated on 100 Mbit is good enough for now.

im not sure if you have to use port 80 for a server anyways. i might be wrong though. check your server software's (ex:apache) config and see if there is an option to change the port #

Back