• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How should I get started on portal like websites.

oates151

Yes, its me again :D

Starting up another project I have been thinking up for the past few months. Heres what I need to ask:

My website will be offering free downloads of eBooks, tutorials, some software and templates + other tools for webmasters. What my question is, how shall I go about starting this? Should I use a portal system to post news, downloads and tutorials? I the website may start getting loads of pages, so making the site manually through HTML and uploading news.html and making the rest of those pages may be very frustraiting.

Is their a nice syetem (no clunky cheap crap ones like PHPNuke) that I can use for all this that will maybe allow me to design my own template and upload that template into these nice system that will allow me to post downloads with decriptions, news updates, advertisements ETC..

All posts greatly appreciated!

Do you know PHP?
It will greatly reduce your time consuming editing of all your html files.

Its to best to use PHP for something like that or another server side language.

If you need help with PHP, just ask me.

mkportal is a pretty good one, skinning isn't that hard, but I think you HAVE to use a forum software with it.

Other than that, it's prolly a good idea to have a system made for you.....

Just opened in the site guys!

www.GalaxyWebs.com - join up if you'd like - free eBooks, tutorials and webmaster tools all on one site. Please post tutorials and eBook if you would like to share any as we are a new site and want to get up and running to a smooth start - all comments welcome :D

Back