• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How much more overselling is possible?! o.o

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
http://www.webhostingpad.com/

I saw an add for this company as i was browsing Anandtech. 17,000GB diskspace and 170,000GB BW. WHAT THE HELLL. How far can this lieing game go..It's f***ing insane. 17 of the biggest hard drives made to every user is what it means, yeah at $4.95 a month. This blatent lieing in the industry is really pissing me off...:cry2:

I agree, this amount of overselling is just rediculous. Hopefully there will be a law against it soon.

[JSH]John;1015304 said:
I agree, this amount of overselling is just rediculous. Hopefully there will be a law against it soon.

If I said that you could have 10 hamburgers for $2.99, and then i only gave you 3 because that's what i felt the average person should get, i'd have my --- sued off. So why is it legal in this business?

PS: I'm not complaing about it from a competition side because I'm not in business right now anyways, but it misleads the customer into begging for more and more and more, and leaves the honest people without a single way to show their true stuff, because the world is full of cheap b*tards.

Hey very true reason being is so new comers think ah ha ill get that package even though it doesnt exist in this world and they are offering something they cannot do and they think that they wont use that much space and bandwidth so im guessing there trying to make quick money with there packages but htere kinda scr*wed when it comes to the customer wanting to use all of it :p

Regards, Adam

Hey very true reason being is so new comers think ah ha ill get that package even though it doesnt exist in this world and they are offering something they cannot do and they think that they wont use that much space and bandwidth so im guessing there trying to make quick money with there packages but htere kinda scr*wed when it comes to the customer wanting to use all of it :p

Regards, Adam

Ummm...what? Punctuation please man. :p

Ummm...what? Punctuation please man. :p

he he my bad im guessing its mainly focused towards new comers in the hosting world that dont know anything about hosting. if you get what i mean now :D say you didnt know anything for instance you would go for the unlimited package ;). i dont think there will ever be a law against this but if there is then good :p. stops them conning people :p

[JSH]John;1015304 said:

That would be pretty difficult to implement. But yes I agree, overselling is ftl.

They hide ---- in there TOS and AUP read some of the big oversellers AUP AND TOS If you want a good laugh

There is nothing wrong with unlimited offers. They most likley put limits because the place the ad was at didnt alow unlimited.
Forums like this are just as responsible for overselling. By banning legit unmeterd they open the doors to overselling.

Unmeterd/Unlimited is the best idea ever.
It sells more
It isnt unreliable if you manage it correctly
And what sort of idiot wouldnt want no limits for there website?
If the site is small enough for shared hosting, Why not go to a big company that can cater for a growing site.. Once it hits dedicated/VPS needs move.
These hosts have 100,000s of happy clients.
It is not there fault they are better than your company, Its yours for having such backwards views.
No company in there right mind would not implement a legal marketing straight that works.
Try to bring morals in to ANY business and your fail.
Giving what the client wants, Not whats right. Client decides whats right... Not you,.

I'll give you unmetered bandwidth on a 56k connection and unmetered diskspace on a 10MB partition.
The problem with unmetered/unlimited is you never know how much are acctually going to get before you get cut off.

I'm not against unmetered/unlimited plans or overselling its a marketing technique that works in a specific sector of the webhosting market.
No company in there right mind would not implement a legal marketing straight that works.
Try to bring morals in to ANY business and your fail.
Giving what the client wants, Not whats right. Client decides whats right... Not you,.
I think there is room for ethical business practices. Many businesses are very sucessful whilst following an ethical and moral approach.

The classic business plan for Unmetered/Unlimited/Oversellers is to cram as many customers as possible on a server and then disconnect the ones that use too much resources or complain too much. Its a pretty solid strategy.

Trying to compete directly with oversellers is a waste of time if you are not going to oversell, you will lose everytime. You need to compete on different terms and in a different market, overselling is one marketing technique might work for some companies, however if your company is selling a different product i aimed at a different market it won't work for you.

Last edited:
[JSH]John;1015304 said:

It is getting pretty ridiculous. I do hope that a web hosting organization against extreme oversellers is established so that way they can be listed and hopefully nobody buys from them and puts an end to oversellers.

The problem with unmetered/unlimited is you never know how much are acctually going to get before you get cut off.

Nah uh, you get unlimited since that is what you're paying for, the only thing that gets your terminated is the limiting factors on your site. If I had a blog that was very small and hardly got any visitors, and used a small amount of DS/BW a month, and kept within all the mySQL connections, innode limits I wouldn't be terminated.

Lol, silly people.
Every host has these limits.
If you buy oversold or not it makes no difference.
if you use all the servers CPU your still going bye byes, that is all shared hosting not just oversold shared hosting.
BTW, If you dont have MySQL connection limits on your shared host, be ready for being pwned.
What you are doing with out having limits is providing a unreliable service, allowing 1 person to screw up over 250 sites on that server, yeah smart.
Infact thinking about that.
If I had a small site I would pick a company that put limits in place where it really mattered
PHP MySQL etc, as I wouldn't want the server overloading because of some nub with a larger site.

Last edited:
if you use all the servers CPU your still going bye byes, that is all shared hosting not just oversold shared hosting.
BTW, If you dont have MySQL connection limits on your shared host, be ready for being pwned.
What you are doing with out having limits is providing a unreliable service, allowing 1 person to screw up over 250 sites on that server, yeah smart.
Infact thinking about that.
By not using CPanel and using my own control panel I get a server system that can scale alot better than CPanel servers can. I don't think most hosts who use CPanel realise how much performance they lose as theres isnt many benchmarks out there. A lot of sites that would bring down a Cpanel server cope fine in non-Cpanel enviroments.

My argument about the 250 sites thing is if you have 250 dynamic sites on a server you may already be overselling the CPU of that server. If you are just hosting 5 - 10 sites on a server its unlikely to be a problem.

As i've said before it depends on your business strategy and the technology you have in place. Overselling is a legitimate business strategy used in many areas of industry, the way you manage it more important.

Last edited:
Laws might already exist

... i dont think there will ever be a law against this but if there is then good :p. stops them conning people :p

I think the laws already do exist, but free webhosts are such "small potatoes" that no one wants to $pend money to sue a Free Host. (!!)

I'm no Lawyer, but the basics go something like this. At the time of the inaccurate ad posted, it's an offer to form a contract. When the user completes the signup process, the host has made a contract offer and the user has accepted. If the ad was relied upon as the reason to sign up, and the site itself somehow fails to contradict the advertised spec(s), then those specs are assumed to be part of the contract just formed.

Then when the host reaches into the bag of tricks, it's a breach of contract. The user has the right to withdraw from the service at that point and must be accomodated. If it weren't for the fact that no one trusts free web hosts with anything serious, if real damages resulted from that breach of contract, then the real case ensues.

Back