• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long have your host been in business ?

ibfw

How can someone find out how long a HOSTING company has been in business ?

Can you find out if they changed their name ?

when you do a WHOIS look-up and you see like Record created on 19-May-2000.
can you rely on that ?

I see some hosts claimed they've been providing service since 1999 but when you do WHOIS sometimes it says Record created on 22-June-2003.

maybe they changed their hosting name and the NEW name was created that date ?

How do you get correct records ?

You cant its impossible unless you ask customers. Some hosts have whois protect which means you cant see anything anyway

It depends on whom they are, and where they're from.

For example, you can look us up on the Australian Business Registar and it'll show all the dates you need to see. These types of methods are the most reliable...

I remember a discussion previous about an ISP. They had changed their domain name in about 1998, yet they started business in 1994. In the end, someone pointed out the ABR records showed it was indeed 1994.

Thanks RW, the A B R would only show Australian Hosts tho, correct ?

Name Servers:
ns1.riverworld.net
ns2.riverworld.net

Creation date: 10 Apr 2003 21:54:30
Expiration date: 10 Apr 2006 21:54:30

When you RENEW your registration in 2006 will it show
Creation date: blah blah 2006 ?

This would make the WHOIS DATABASE rather un-accurate won't it ?

Thanks for all the inputs folks, keep them coming.

Even if you renew a domain name, the creation date stays the same.

How do I know? I originally registered riverworld.net for one year ;)

Take us for example, we started in early 2000 and then in late 2001 went through rebranding. The domain that we used through 2001 is now expired back into the domain pool.

Now to the point. A whois record can give you a good idea of how long the host has been in business but, that may not be all you need. I'd say you can take the word of a webhosting provider that seems honest enough if you have reasonable evidence they have been in business for a long time anyway.

Just my two cents.

If you renew 30-60(depending on registrars) days after your domain expire your reation date will be the new date. But if you renew before it expires the domain creation date stays the same.

Riverworld said:
Even if you renew a domain name, the creation date stays the same.

How do I know? I originally registered riverworld.net for one year ;)

I'm not sure about that, why ?
Because a few months ago Vespacious mentioned that Vespacious.com has been in business since 1999, I checked on GoDaddy WHoIs and it did say created sometime in 1999

This week I re-checked and got this
Domain Name: VESPACIOUS.COM
Created on: 29-Oct-03
Expires on: 29-Oct-04
Last Updated on: 01-Jul-04

:confused4 :confused4

LifeLess P , over 3 years ? :applaudin
Yourself and netspace are the only 2 I KNOW of on this forum thats been hosting more than 3 years, more may have been but they havent posted that information on here.

lksoh said:
If you renew 30-60(depending on registrars) days after your domain expire your reation date will be the new date. But if you renew before it expires the domain creation date stays the same.

Thanks for that tid-bit, that may have explained my above comment on Vespacious Creation date on the WhoIs :

Last edited:
lksoh said:

Well if you go over your expiration date, then yes you'll receive a new creation date. Your domain expired.

Going by domain name isnt really a great test.

eg. Someone starts up in 2004, but buys a domain name from someone else who reg'd it in 1994 then claims to have been in business for 10 years.

You should try, ask the host, if they have a forum pop in and ask the question of the customers. Mike_R's suggested site http://www.webhosting.info is a goldmine as far as geting info goes, I think the best one is checking your nameservers to see if your on an overloaded server.

ibfw said:
I'm not sure about that, why ?
Because a few months ago Vespacious mentioned that Vespacious.com has been in business since 1999, I checked on GoDaddy WHoIs and it did say created sometime in 1999

This week I re-checked and got this

:confused4 :confused4

LifeLess P , over 3 years ? :applaudin
Yourself and Vespacious are the only 2 I KNOW of on this forum thats been hosting more than 3 years, more may have been but they havent posted that information on here.

Thanks for that tid-bit, that may have explained my above comment on Vespacious Creation date on the WhoIs :

\
Hi,

Do you know who mentioned that we have been in Bussenis since 1999? Because that is NOT correct ,vespacious is operating under the name vespacious since 2003. Before we did not offer hosting via a company , so 2003 was the first year we registered the domain :).

Stijn

Vespacious said:
Hi,

Do you know who mentioned that we have been in Bussenis since 1999? Because that is NOT correct ,vespacious is operating under the name vespacious since 2003. Before we did not offer hosting via a company , so 2003 was the first year we registered the domain :).

Stijn

Just checked some threads, its my mistake, sorry, I meant Netspace with netspaceinternet.com ( no i'm not doubting Netspaceinternet ) this discussion is to see the accuracy of WHOIS databases

sorry for the confusion, but heres the status from Godaddy WHOIS search on
netspaceinternet.com

Creation Date: 02-Sep-2001
Expiration Date: 02-Sep-2006
Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.speedwebhosting.com
ns1.virtualserverhost.com

Last edited:
My host has been around since 1998. I am not sure of all the companies he has within the edit group, so I will list the three I know of :)

Domain Name: AUSSIEHOSTS.COM

Registrant:
EDIT Group
Gary Meadows ()
PO Box 455
Kallangur
QLD,4503
AU
Tel. +617.34805496

Creation Date: 02-Nov-2000
Expiration Date: 02-Nov-2004

Domain Name: ENHANCEDHOST.COM

Registrant:
EDIT Group
Gary Meadows ()
PO Box 455
Kallangur
QLD,4503
AU
Tel. +617.34805496

Creation Date: 06-Oct-2001
Expiration Date: 06-Oct-2004

Domain Name: PLESK6RESELLERS.COM
Reseller..............: Edit Group
Created on............: 30/07/2003 00:00:00
Expires on............: 29/07/2004 00:00:00
Record last updated on: 30/07/2003 00:00:00
Status................: ACTIVE

Owner, Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
EDIT Group
Gary Meadows (ID00002382)
PO Box 455

I will get Gary to fill you in on the others.

Being around since '98 is a very big accomplishment to say the very least.

Also on the note of us being around for 3 years, thank you. We're very proud of that and are even happier to be well into our fourth. :bandit2:

Congradulations Zach, it is a great achievement, and I think it would be indicative of your passion for this field ;)

Well. As other members have also said you can check the whois database for the domain registration date. But some hosts start with one company name and then go with another. So you can ask them for their previuos brand.

Regards
Dimitar

Back