• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How fast is your internet?

How fast is your connection? (Downstream)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 384-768kbps

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • 1.5mbps-6mbps

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Freakin' Fast (Anything above 6mbps)

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
Is 16meg, 2mb? Did not know that. Anyway, I have 9mbps cable with 1mbps upload. It's fast enough for me, I know some people have much faster internet, but it's the fastest residential internet here without going to fibre, which I don't think anyone provides here yet. As far as the cable is shared argument, I have the fastest plan they have, so it's on a different node. There aren't many people who have the highest plan, so I get the speeds I want. Just make sure they test your line before they leave, old houses can sometimes have bad cabling. Luckily my ISP uses extremely high quality wire for everything, so I was very lucky.

Last edited:
We have Comcast for Cable, and Bellso ... The New AT&T ™ and Earthlink for DSL.

Comcast is 6mbps ... I think
Bellsouth has a range, but goes up to 6mbps down /512kbps up
Earthlink DSL is around 8mbps down.

My mom uses Bellsouth, and my dad uses Comcast. They're both great, I mean I don't download movies or music a whole bunch (it's just accumulated over time) so I don't really notice the speed difference. I'm sure if I was more of a movie buff, for instance, the speed difference would be more obvious.

The only thing I've noticed is that with Comcast I have slightly lower pings on Counter-Strike ...

Charter Cable is in the area, but doesn't serve Atlanta itself ... only the 'burbs. And I'm unsure on any of the prices, considering I still live at home and don't plan to move out for another year, so I haven't exactly researched them. And when I do move out, that'll be into a dorm ...

Tree will more than likely give a better take on the ATL-ISP scene than myself, if he chooses to reply.
Atlanta's Bellsouth ...
I'm guessing my mom has their 3mbps/384kbps plan ...

In my area, I think the fastest is Insight's 10mbps cable.

I, however, have ----ing dial-up. Insight cable stops approximately ~5 miles from me. (As does DSL. Too many trees for satellite, no LOS to a wireless tower.)

In my area, I think the fastest is Insight's 10mbps cable.

I, however, have ----ing dial-up. Insight cable stops approximately ~5 miles from me. (As does DSL. Too many trees for satellite, no LOS to a wireless tower.)

STILL?! You've been on dialup forrreevveerr

STILL?! You've been on dialup forrreevveerr

Well, I've lived here in the middle of nowhere forrreevveerr :p Moving out in the next month or two though. Hopefully I'll be able to afford cable. On the other hand, since I'm used to dial-up already, if other things (food, rent, silly stuff like that) gets in the way, I can live with it for a while longer.

You must be some kind of a saint. i couldn't ever put rent ahead of high speed internet.

You must be some kind of a saint. i couldn't ever put rent ahead of high speed internet.

That's funny.

Matt's Mom: "Matt, why are you moving back home?"
Matt: "Uhh .. well you see my rent was due.. and so was my internet bill.. "
Matt's Mom: "Where they too expensive?"
Matt: "Yea, my rent was killer. So I elected to pay for the Internet bill..."
Matt's Mom: "...."
Matt: " :/ "

"I'm thinkingggg of a number, between 450 and 850. Do you know what it is? It's your credit score..."
And I don't want mine ruined for the sake of broadband internet :p
(sorry to any who've never seen the freecreditreport.com commercials. I watch TV late at night too often.)

hmm, Well I have dialup :(
I also have a mobile phone with a modem that gets 1.5mb down that I can plug in to the PC, but the data usage fees are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, So I dont bother..
Im unable to get any phone internet other than dialup here..
Iv orderd a satalite plan of 1.5 down.. it will be good but very high ping replys.. so I wont be able to play games... Silly rural areas...

15 mbit down / 2 mbit up

Verizon FIOS

I think it's $45 a month. It's the best internet service i've had.. and I've had Comcast cable, Verizon dsl, some other dsl service, and a T1.

That's funny.

Matt's Mom: "Matt, why are you moving back home?"
Matt: "Uhh .. well you see my rent was due.. and so was my internet bill.. "
Matt's Mom: "Where they too expensive?"
Matt: "Yea, my rent was killer. So I elected to pay for the Internet bill..."
Matt's Mom: "...."
Matt: " :/ "

Haha, yeah that'd be an interesting conversation. What is funny, is that I split internet with my roommates, but I am literally the only one who EVER uses it. Can't complain paying 1/4th for something that I use, so our bill isn't too bad.

I hate paying rent because I hate this apartment. Lease is up in September though so I can move somewhere that isn't a ----hole

I could never have room mates. I like my personal space, which includes a kitchen, bathroom, and living room.

They don't bother me too much. I have my own room, only 2 of us share a bathroom and he is fairly clean.

Plus the other one is another of my best friend's girlfriend and she is smoking hot. Seeing her walk around in panties, towels, etc. is really worth the occasional mess in the kitchen. It isn't wrong as long as I am just looking, glaring, and staring.

And ironically enough, she is the messiest of all of them.

I've got a cable plan with Comcast paying ~$55/month. When I signed up I was told I would get 6mbps down. That hasn't happened. Ever.

Last edited:
Back