• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hotmail

Is Hotmail making money?

• Yes

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If hotmail doesn't sell my e-mail address to spam companies, then why do I get so much junk mail on accounts I don't use?

It just all depends...

My username on hotmail consists of coolin and some letters on the end... Which can be guessed by mass spam emailers...

However I had one account that was akin to johndoh_9ap and no spam ever reached there.

If you want spam-free e-mail get a domain name of your own and use that for personal or business communications. And if you have the benefit of unlimited aliases, make a seperate alias for each service you sign up for online and then see who the spam is addressed to, this way you'll know who the culprits are.

I created my email addy (paki76@hotmail.com) .haven't told anyone nor went to my inbox and haven't logged in until 13 days.When i checked it after 13 days there was 169 emails waiting in inbox.

How weird..
I'm actually more spanned on my own domains (ady.us - when i had ady@ady.us i was receiving about 10 emails/day - with "whatsnow"@ady.us never - YET) than with free services. To be honest, even those FREE acounts that DO mail their users (like hotpop and fastmail) never mailed me.
And hotmail...less than 10 times. Anyway, i don't use their services anymore :)

Last edited:
Just to test hotspam, i mean hotmail, i setup yupadog@hotmail.com. I never checked it and never gave out the address. This is what my inbox looks like

http://www.yupadog.com/pix/funny/spam.gif

Now my main email address zero[at]yupadog.com i use for everything and ive only had one type of spam come in and it stopped after having Outlook delte them automagically for a week. So yea, hotmail is selling the addys to spammers.

Originally posted by Blank Verse
If hotmail doesn't sell my e-mail address to spam companies, then why do I get so much junk mail on accounts I don't use?

it can be brute-forced, a lot of spam bots do that. make sure email addresses have 7+ characters, numbers, hyphens and underscores to keep 'em guessing

Now that you think about it, the Hotmail account that I use for MSN messenger has never gotten any spam. It must be because it's 14 characters long that spam bots haven't guessed it. Of course, I did have a harder to guess Yahoo address that gets a lot of spam so I don't know.

Underscores don't always work very well.

I have a somewhat old email (2+ years old) that I check every few weeks and it's "I_love_Zechs@hotmail.com"...I suppose the 'love' and "zechs" (as it rhymes with..something) is what kills me, as I get a TON of spam in that one.

But my angelic_disaster has never EVER gotten spam. Go figure.

Huh...hotmail was good to use because everyone had an email address there. Every combination of letters and numbers you can think of is taken (slight exaggeration). So then spambots sent out emails to every combination of letters numbers and underscores and blackholed bouncing mails. Smart thing to do. What isn't smart is to use hotmail. And to those who posted their email address, remove it, spambots will search forums too.

Last night on some news show (I think it was Primetime or something like that) did a thing on spammers and they interviewed this one dude who said that he got most of the addresses from directories like AOL has and such. Of course, I make sure I'm not in any directories and I still get 398 emails in a four month period.

A good thing to do is to put a filter on your account:
Accept only emails from people in my adress book

Thats it, no more spam ;)

Back