• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting myself?

FifthDistrict

Is there any way I can host my domain myself? Like a program or something that uses my hard drive as webspace or something of that sort.

Originally posted by FifthDistrict
Is there any way I can host my domain myself? Like a program or something that uses my hard drive as webspace or something of that sort.

There is also a website on starting your own server. I forgot the URL. Ask lurkingfridge79.

Jan mentioned it in the other thread but noone seems to have mentioned it here... check your contract with your ISP first, most will not allow you to run a server.
Also if you're using cable/dsl you'll most likely have a very limited upstream (upload) bandwidth. If you're either downloading something at a high speed or uploading a lot due of your site your connection will rapidly become saturated and things will slow down to a crawl. Another thing to consider is that you'll need to leave your computer on 24/7. Make sure you update it regularly for security patches and do run a firewall.
It's also very likely your IP address will change regularly. Either due a forced reset by your ISP or because you reboot your computer at one point. With a dynamic dns site you can just run a program to update your IP but with domain hosting you'll need to go over to whomever is hosting your DNS and change it manually each time your address changes. This will be something you can easily forget.

I think I saw you mention you were looking for hosting for your band? I'd suggest placing the actual site and pages onto a free/paid host and then just host the files they won't allow (video/mp3 files) off your own connection. At worst people won't be able to temporarily view the files but at least the site will always be accessable.
Just my thought :)

I second what CareBear reccomends.

Also, if you are wanting to host *just* media files off your computer, you can use Xitami web server, which can be found at: www.xitami.com (I believe that is the URL..). I do like Xitami and you can easily reboot the server, and halt the server, and configure it from a web-based control panel. But I do say I like Apache better. :D

Good Luck!

Alternatively you could use a decent piece of ftp server software for the videos/mp3s, which would generally be a lot easier to install and manage compared to Apache.

Originally posted by nicknapper
So that every kiddie out there hosts his site itself, gets hacked and doesn't know why?
same issue exists with apache.
No server is ever going to be secure unless the person who manages it takes the time to learn how it works and keep it up to date.

Originally posted by CareBear
No server is ever going to be secure unless the person who manages it takes the time to learn how it works and keep it up to date.
Of course, but if the IIS is so easy to use, the probability that inexperienced users will use it is higher.

Back