• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

hostalope.com is DOWN?

Yep, like Seraphim said...you're pretty much screwed without a database backup, unfortunately. :( If your site is still up, even though you can't log into the admin panel, you can still log in to phpBB and download a backup that way.

Go to the Admin Panel (in phpBB), click on Maintenance, and then Backup, on the left side of the screen. You should then be able to restore it on a new forum.

Also, always, always, always make backups regularly. Things like this happen, even more with free hosts. You just never know these days.

Unfortunately my site is down so I can't go to the phpbb3's admin panel. :cry2:
I also tried to contact hostalope admin but I didn't get any answer from him.

Unfortunately not a whole lot you can do then. :( You're pretty much stuck with starting over unless you can somehow get a backup of your site or login to phpBB.

Unfortunately my site is down so I can't go to the phpbb3's admin panel. :cry2:
I also tried to contact hostalope admin but I didn't get any answer from him.

This is why, no matter how good is the host, it is best if we always do our own backups at least weekly.

Oh right, Database Installs - sure, "who cares if you reinstall" - if all your posts are gone you're toasted.
So sure, can see the importance of doing database backups, and in a sense, that risk is underlying my current site design, which produces local content then statically pushes it out.

Even stuffs in my own desktop, I rsync to my external hard disk monthly, just in case if my desktop hard disk is dead, I still have most of the datas in my external hard disk.
It is best to take precautions to avoid all kinds of accidents to occur anyway.
:)

I might be late to this conversation but..wow that's really upsetting news for users of Hostalope. I've heard about it in several places but if the owner couldn't move forward with the webhost(let's say for few months), I would expect the host to be still running ...just under different management.

Has anybody at all been able to get a hold of him, so users can at least get their backups? It sounds like he just disappeared off the face of the earth.

Has anybody at all been able to get a hold of him, so users can at least get their backups? It sounds like he just disappeared off the face of the earth.

Nothing. I've had PMs on here to him open over two months with no reply, it's almost like something really did happen to him and the outage is because he wasn't around to pay the bills anymore.

Hopefully he turns up and nothing was seriously wrong, but at this point he'll probably have to start all over building up his company.

Seraphim;1165352 Hopefully he turns up and nothing was seriously wrong said:
I'm not sure/don't think it was his company. In our early exchanges he mentioned a couple of times he "would have to ask the owner". So that makes him just a manager.

I'm not sure/don't think it was his company. In our early exchanges he mentioned a couple of times he "would have to ask the owner". So that makes him just a manager.

Which means, we can actually consider hostalope.com is now a host which is already dead....

He's long since flunked my rules if he were to have still been in my project, so I am quite satisfied with that designation.

That duration thing is a killer. Everyone gets all charismatic in their first 10 months, then stuff implodes.

With my study complete, I'm not around here much anymore. It was a good run, and I earned a Sticky! :classic2:

But with 5.5 hosts at my disposal, I no longer have the interest or energy to care about the fly by nights anymore.

Well, since it is mid-may now, has anyone heard from him yet?

I would think if he was actually coming back sometime soon he'd at least have turned up to reintroduce himself.

I always back up my files servers no mattter how good they are or size of the company can crash and loose data

some good web hosting companies provide routine backups

Back