• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Home Networking

What type of Network do you have at home?

• Total voters
Yeah mights be a good idea, but hey instead we just get a ton of posts saying I am real cool I have wireless and ethernet. But I have found that to just be easiest. Desktop wireless cards are a pain.

I wouldn't know, we use wired desktops / wireless laptops. Wireless desktops are stupid, why have less bandwidth?

I use both. Mine is wired and my parents is wireless. My family is so tech-illiterate, it's fun playing with their mind with remote admin tools :D

My school said it might be implementing a wireless network in every classroom, then each student gets a tablet. I imagine how cool that would be!

Switches manage traffic hubs distribute it - only real difference, but go with a switch if you can.

At home it's wired 100meg, to much overhead securing a wireless to be bothered - do enough of that elsewhere :biggrin2:

Tech tip - if your having probs on your switch with one machine borrow a hub and use it instead, if the problem clears reconfig the NIC on the problem machine as some NIC's are faster than the switch respond and get pee'd off waiting :classic2:

Decker said:
Switches manage traffic hubs distribute it - only real difference, but go with a switch if you can.
Switches are also full duplex, hubs aren't.
Even with just two computers connected any switch will majorly outperform a hub since it doesn't have to deal with collisions.

You can config a switch as half duplex or auto to deal with slower connections but it's a 'why bother' case CareBear hit it on the head, if you can switch then do it, if you need to save the couple of $ then hub.

Back