• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Home Network Problem

aggiedude

Okay I just know that some of you guys out there know 10 times more than me so plz help me!

Okay my neighbors have a Home Network (so do i but that does not matter) So they asked me to work on it so that their Notebook would get access to the Internet wirelessly, easy enough right? yes it was I finished that and the notebook is fine. But then I noticed the Linksys Router (sry dont know the Model Number) was not installed proparly so I went out to fix that. Well in the proccess the thing kept wigging out on me well I canceled. Well the setup changed a lot of settings and now the Internet will not run through the router. I am currently having the internet run directly to the computer but I still dont get it. I tried and tried until 12 last night then I tried for 3hrs today. Anyone know how to get the IP and stuff to work proparly b/c I think that is the problem.

A few helpful details:
Uses Windows XP Home Edition
Has a DSL connection
Main Computer runs by Ethernet Wire after going through the Router.

Thanks for any help! :biggrin2:

In the router's configuration screen, you need to configure the router to connect with PPPoE (since they have DSL, that's most likely how their DSL is setup) and enter their username and password so it connects.

You see the problem with that is that I can not get the set-up to work to use the software and the Web-Based config messes up. Do you think I should just advise them to sell it on Ebay and buy like a D-Link (I have that here and it has never failed me!)

Sounds like you screwed it up and sounds like it's your responsbility to purchase a new, exact same model, router for them, seeing how you broke it.

Log into 192.168.1.1 and go to the "Setup Tab". From the drop down menu select PPPOE and enter their username/password and click "Apply" and then go to the "Status" tab and click "Connect"

Did you try just resetting the router - there should be a button somewhere - to its factory default and start from scratch with the settings?

Back