• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hiding Folders??

dagojr

On my site I can get right into my cgi bin and I don't want other to as well I don't know anything about htaccess is there a way I can make it ask for a user name ans pass word when I try to get into it? Or maybe hiding the folders from people so only I can see them??

Thank you,
Dago JR

Create a textfile, like htaccess.txt
Add this line:

IndexIgnore *

Save it, upload it to the directory where you want to prevent the listing. Rename it to .htaccess and done!
Went wrong? Just upload an empty htaccess.txt and rename it again.

For further info about htaccess (it can also prevent hotlinking and stuff like that): do a search on google.com on htaccess ... it is easier than you think.

Goodluck!

Sometimes it's just as simple as changing your folder name to something like:
/5827-7162-8253/

Originally posted by Lapras
Sometimes it's just as simple as changing your folder name to something like:
/5827-7162-8253/

It is not that easy, it will still appear in the directory listing if you go to /cgi-bin.

Somewhat strange that this option is active as it clearly can have nasty consequences.

I'm pretty sure that depends on your server configuration. Some servers will show a directory listing and some won't. If worse comes to worse you can always make an index.html document that's blank or mimica 404 not found error. Most comercial targeted control panels handle this though.

Back