• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hee..banned only after two days! A record!

bryonhost1

Hi!
Well..ain't that just ducky. <LOL>

I have a new record! I have been banned permanently on a certain other board (not hosting related) only after two days and eight posts.

Maaaaannnn!

Not to worry, though! Out of the kindness of my heart..I just reported said board for having invalid whois to godaddy and dropped a line to vbulletin to see if their vbulletin license is valid.

I could see if I was spamming. I was not. No, Jan..I was NOT on a crusade.

No more crusades.

I was simply trying to help a board user with a windows problem. How was I to know the poor guy was being given crappy bad advice by the board owner himself!

Ok..<sniff>..gonna cry now.

Bryon

Awwww. If I mention it..there is a good chance this slughead will get a boost in his rankings. No..not here.

I do not want to see somebody rewarded for bad deeds..and this perma-ban was totally uncalled for.

I am game for causing more trouble for this guy, though.

BUh-wa-hahahahahaha!

Bryon

Last edited:
Probarly for the silly topics you post :p

Nah J/k, good record but :)

My record on here was my first infraction i think which was the day i signed up im sure, Havent had one now in over a year!

Not to worry, though! Out of the kindness of my heart..I just reported said board for having invalid whois to godaddy and dropped a line to vbulletin to see if their vbulletin license is valid.
That was kind of you :p

Hmm... maybe you should've contacted the admin first to see if he would put the valid whois details.

Tbh, reporting there board and domain just because you got banned shows your childish side :p

Show your mature side and forget about it :)

Moi? Childish?????

Moi? Childish?

Heck..I'm almost 43 years old. I think I am entitled to be childish from time to time.

Hey..this guy asked for trouble.

>>> All I was trying to do is really help this computer Noob for free with his problems.

>>> He permabanned me because my advice went against his...anybody care to comment on the maturity level on that? Blah.

>>> Death to Ming!

The message in the autologin announcing the permaban:

"We don't need you around here."

I couldn't agree more.

However...this means war!

Bryon

Last edited:
I beg to differ..it is a record...

..for someone who was not doing anything wrong at all.

No spam..no attacks..no disagreements..no crusades.

Nope. My only mistake was telling the op this person didn't know what they were talking about (fact) and offered additional advice with more info from the op.

How was I to know this "person" was the board owner himself?

He was wrong..the advice was wrong...

Blah.

It is a record indeed...given the circumstances.

Now..back to "The Power Puff Girls".

Bryon

Last edited:
Yes..I suspect as much. Very short fuse too.

Let me tell you something about the infamous "OS not found" error in which I was trying to help with.

The board owner told this op the sitch was hopeless. All is lost. Buy a new Hard Driive.

Not so at all. In fact..I saw this error just last week on PC5. BIOS refused to detect the drive. Fix? All I had to do was unplug the "dead"drive from position 1 to position 2 on the eide/pata ribbon. That was it..worked fine..didn't even have to play with drive jumpers. In fact..it was been working fine for almost a week now.

Hopeless? Hardly.

Get out your notepads, folks.

Drive dead..os not found. Other possible solutions:

XP: Boot from install CD...chose recovery console. Type:

FIXBOOT

FIXMBR

CHKDSK /R

In fact..running chkdsk on a regular basis can prevent many boot/drive problems.

Sometimes booting Linux from a CD works and is able to recognize the "dead" drive. Format linux style..and them re-install Windows. I've done that once or twice many moons ago.

Worse case..you've tried everything..still the drive is dead and you really, really need some notbacked up data off this drive. If there was someway to get the drive to boot just one more time...

Take a piece of cardboard..and cut to the outline of said "dead" drive.

Place the cardboard on the bottom to protect the exposed circuits..and wrap the drive in plastic wrap.

Place dead drive in a freezer for ten-fifteen minutes.

Take out and re-install. There is a very good chance she'll boot one more time.

Bryon

Regardless of whether the admin was acting right or not, I can't say you're exactly acting in a way that puts you in the greatest of light either. Yea, you're a bit pissed..give it time to cool off so you can think straight..you'll regret it later.

Hi!
Oh! One more thing to add to your notes about dealing with drives.
Gone are the days you just use fdisk or dparted to re-partition a drive, reboot with a dos diskette and then use dos to format.

With many high-cap drives..format does not work very well. Take my 80GB Maxtor here. She is the oldest and smallest here..gah..never though I'd be saying that!

Anywho..I had to redo her(it!) about two years ago..and made the mistake of letting XP reformat the drive. Twas a 80GB drive no more..try 60GB.

I had a CD that came with it...and it turns out you MUST use their software to see the full capacity of the drive. You can download the software if you don't have the CD in most cases.

"Best light"? Please. If you think for five seconds I've done anything "wrong" or "bad"...well...so? You are entitled to your opinion.

This person is truly evil that runs this other board. If you think *THIS* board has too much adverts..you have never seen HIS board. Google ads..banner ads..sponsers..and they charge members too. Never have I seen more ads..and never before have I ever been treated so unfairly.

>>So..I did two things. If he really is bringing all that money from all those ads..wouldn't you say it's only fair the vbulletin people get paid?

>>What will Godaddy do? I can't say..I'm not godaddy. Who is truly at fault here?
Me? Please. I didn't register that domain. HIS job. Ok..what if I hadn't reported it?

Do you believe for five seconds I could possibly be the only person he has done this to? No chance. No..if I had not reported him..someone else would have shortly.

Oh! One more thing..I suspect godaddy themselves put that invalid email address in the whois because they already know it is invalid. I've seen it before..they do check.

>>>Heh. Guess who just updated their whois with a real working email address?

>>>>Oh! Sorry Brandon. Going forward..slowly. Gahhh. Too tired.

Blah.

Bryon

Last edited:
Sad thread indeed :D

One thing Bryon for this bit,
Twas a 80GB drive no more..try 60GB
, NTFS reserves part of a disk for the MFT (including a section for directory and file entries) that's where the space goes. Can't remember the reg entry that can be changed to reduce the amount (google should know) but default is normally the max reserved, so 20G off an 80G disk is quite normal too :)

Sign up at the forum again, post that, and see them jump in saying "no your disk is actualy possesed by demons!"

Hi!
Heh. Yup..Demon Daemons even! <LOL>

You know...I have given up trying to explain how some things work to people who ask. Here I am..trying to reduce it to the simplest terms possible..and still their eyes gloss over about two minutes in and it is clear they are lost.

From now on...it's magic. MAGIC.

That's how it works. REALLY!

>>>Oh! One more thing..get out your notebooks again.

I remember working on a client's computer a few years back..and this motherboard's auto-detect function simply refused to detect the drive's config. There was nothing wrong with the drive at all..in fact..I tested in another box.

I had to pull the specs on the drive..and manually enter the info in the setup screen in BIOS (Cylinders, heads, sectors, etc) and it worked fine.

Bryon

Last edited:
two day ban is NOT a record.

Indeed. I was childish and registered a whole mess of accounts over on yourtalkspot.com. They removed them all because I was abusing my ability to register and create new e-mails. I also used a proxy dealie to get around IP blocking.

My IP was banned thrice or so within an hour or four. I really disliked Mark though =/
Sad thread indeed :D

One thing Bryon for this bit, , NTFS reserves part of a disk for the MFT (including a section for directory and file entries) that's where the space goes. Can't remember the reg entry that can be changed to reduce the amount (google should know) but default is normally the max reserved, so 20G off an 80G disk is quite normal too :)
Getting Ubuntu to reformat the drive to something like FAT32 without setting a boot flag... then going into Windows XP Boot CD and trying to "Convert" the existing FAT32 partition to NTFS will result in an error after Windows Setup has been copied over...

It'll say "The drive is not bootable even though system files are detected." Or something like that. *rambles on nonsense*

Last edited:
Getting Ubuntu to reformat the drive to something like FAT32 without setting a boot flag...
It'll say "The drive is not bootable even though system files are detected."

That's because it's not set as active, i.e. bootable...

Back