• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Government Seizure? Or well played hoax...

Seraphim

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/11/26/1450257

At first glance it looks like the government seriously seized a site.

But something doesn't add up in the way it was done.

I was discussing this with some people a little while ago, and am curious what you guys make of this.

Is this really the government's doing through private contractors? Or did someone make a gigantic hoax.

And in either case, what of the hosting company that is now completely crippled by this case. Most of the articles so far have only barely mentioned them so far.

Might be, they are pushing to pass the ACTA act. So get used to it if that passes, which it likely will.

edit: Wait wait. Didn't Torrent freak have a similar article a few years ago about a site being seized and taken offline? I remember visiting and it had that message but it also logged your IP address.

They can't because the servers either aren't hosting anything illegal, they don't know the servers location, or they are out of the USA, therefore American governments can't touch them. They can only touch the domains, mostly .com because they fall under American jurisdiction - because of Verisign - so loads are moving their domains to the likes of .info because these don't fall under American jurisdiction - so they can't touch them and redirect them. That's all they are doing. They haven't removed ownership. They got ICANN to change the nameservers.

It is just another tactic they are trying because they can't do anything real. So they're looking for every loophole possible until the ACTA and OPICA are passed (which I hope they aren't.)

the same case happened to tvshack.net
but after the domain is seized, the website owner immediately purchase tvshack.cc and migrate the whole site to continue to run the website.

Back