• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Google Chrome

I'd say it's pretty obvious. Think of the wealth of information available through a browser? Most visited websites, favorites, the kind of information you could amass on a user would be huge. This is of course all tied up with improving their adverts. I'm guessing that mozilla would balk at the idea of handing over user data.

Several bloggers have said that the browser features an option whether to send data to Google or not, kind of like the Microsoft Customer Experience thing that collects anonymous data. However none of them had sources, so they can all just be rumors. It will all be clear in a few hours.

Does it really matter whether Google collects your information or not? Knowing Google, more data it will make for an improved user experience. When GMail started providing contextual ads in emails, people were all "ZOMG GEWGLE READS MY EMAILS", but it's really just a script that scans for keywords. The same principle would be applied to the browser. They've done a good job of keeping that data secure as well.

The browser is open-source guys, they won't be doing anything too dastardly - at least nothing more than Google Desktop indexing your whole hard drive and GMail indexing all of your e-mail.

I agree with Tree anyway - besides, when I need to keep something to myself, I tend to keep it on paper. Google hasn't indexed my notebook yet. ;)

I also agree with Tree.

And if you're really paranoid, Google always have an opt-out option for this sort of thing.

Just tried it and it seems okay - but what's the biggy?

Which button is it you click to take over the world?

I've tried it and so far I'm liking some of the little things. The actual domain name is in a darker font in the address bar so you know what site you're visiting. The first option when right-clicking a link is to open it in a new tab. Tabs are grouped - I opened Facebook, made a new tab and opened FWS, then went back and started opening Facebook links in new tabs. Those new tabs were created after the initial Facebook tab, but before the FWS tab - very nifty.

I don't like the HUGE amount of Aero window decoration that is left above the tab bar - there must be something they can do about that.
It doesn't seem noticeably speedier either, the way Opera does over Firefox, but that might just be my internet speed fluctuating.
Built-in spell check seems to be highlighting incorrect words but isn't offering any corrections?

Not a big fan of it. Seems kind of sluggish when loading flash videos and overall it just doesn't seem to add much I couldn't live without. Still, more competition and thinking heads just means all the other browsers will eventually incorporate some of their features and in the end, better for all of us.

I agree with Matt. It's VERY slow on loading flash videos, and lag's massively on my Vista PC, and it's one HELL of a powerful setup!

Sorry to any fan's of "Google Chrome" but... Firefox FTW!

Jesus christ, that browser is abolsutely rapid. it blows FF straight out of the water. The UI is sexy, the aero decoration is also sexy.

Bye bye firefox.

I find it so strange people on the web are claiming it is so fast, when the thing is slower than Opera for me?

What do you mean when you say it is slow when loading flash? The actual loading of it (bandwidth wise) or the flash object loading? I just youtubed and played a few flash games, it seems the performance has not changed at all compared to Firefox (but not IE).

Anyways it is pretty good. I like it a lot but it won't be replacing FF until they make it more customizable.

Offtopic, did FWS upgrade VB? I am seeing extra options below the quick reply box.

//EDIT
It seems like it doesn't suffer from the scrolling issues FF has, it actually doesn't lagg anymore when I scroll up and down on pages with lots of pictures and stuff. Not sure if it is WebKit that causes it or something that Google did.

I didn't notice the lack of a status bar - that's always been one of my biggest beefs about window design. I require the information that's in the sidebar, but why have those 20 pixels constantly taking up my browsing space? Google's implementation is extremely fluid, I love it.

On the other hand, I'm getting random timeouts that appear to be of a DNS nature (Firefox has way, way, way better error messages - I'm surprised that Chrome's are so IE6-esque) when I have had no problems with other browsers. A couple refreshes fix it, but it seems odd.

I installed chrome today. My first impression is nothing great for me, I like more my Maxthon features. But the speed is significantly better comparing with other browsers.

Back