• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Google Chrome

Ye I just installed it here at work, and it seems to have pretty much the same performance as it did at home. And the computers here at work are pretty old and slow. Firefox actually lags on just opening new tabs. But Chrome just seems to run so smoothly.

Easteregg: about:internets

Other Stuff:
about:version - Current Version
about: plugins - Display Installed Plugins (remove space, i don't know to disable smilies)
about:histograms - Display History
about:dns - Display DNS Stats
about:cache - View Cache Pages
view-cache:stats - Cache Stats
about:stats - Display Stats
about:network - Very Cool Network Tool
chrome-resource://favicon/ - Favicon?? All I got is random characters

I love the inspect element bit and the developer tools, very handy ... stats for nerds is quite cool, while also being quite insulting ...

I do agree with Decker though, I'm also looking for the take over the world button, or dominate your chosen market menu ....

I'm going to start using it for a while because it's so fast and sleek, however there are some things missing that I don't like.. such as the ability to lock tabs, and the fact that middle click to scroll doesn't work. And mouse gestures, I used them loads.

I love how you can resize textboxes (look bottom-right for faint dots when you make a post).

The amount of features not in this compared to say, Opera, is pretty big though. But it's just so fast! Oh, and ctrl+i doesn't work to make ---- italic in vB. But fast!

Last edited:
I reckon they will make it more customizable and add more features. After all it is open source. People can contribute and stuff. Maybe a fork of it, some sort of a community version.

I wonder if they'll have that onLoad = Old problem that IE has. :p (Safari has this too, Opera has it rarely now, and Firefox and Netscape have never had it due to gecko.)

I dont think I will even bother trying it, happy with what I got and see no point in using something just cause google made it.

Very fast to open although experienced a few bugs so far.

And more lil' eastereggs:

:% - yes, just this little bit crashes the browser, so don't try it unless you want to loose the opened tabs
about:crash - will display the default crash page banner

testing right now, and it is simply amazing. few bugs and missing options as already pointed out, but, i am sure it will be fixed in final launch. ok, the resizing text box thing, that is way cool.

**EDIT**
I clicked to open FF before GC (Google Chrome), GC took under 1 second to open and load, while it took FF about 10 - 15 more sec just to open, then about another 30 sec or so just to load the tabs up. Looks like FF might have a big challenge on their hands. Seems to me that a re-write is in need already.

Last edited:
I've just tried it and I think that with a few more tweaks and improvements, Chrome can surpass Firefox.

I just love the UI. :)

The fact the majority are now saying GC is better than Firefox already, when the majority said Firefox was better than Opera and IE, Safari etc days after it was released, just makes me think it's nothing special. Just a hype.

I agree with what CnR said. If this browser was made without the huge corp name around it, how long do you think it would have taken for it to take the lead in performance compared to Firefox?

The name just got people to try it Dynash, but I love the technology that's included, and that has nothing to do with the name. For example, there appears to be a new type of pop-up that happens with an onClick element that Firefox isn't smart enough to block - GC has been blocking them every time. Things like each tab being a separate process, a process manager to manually kill off things abusing system resources (I killed the Flash plugin at one point to stop a talking ad), and a super-sleek interface make GC a definite contender straight off, with the Google name or not.

i could care less about the name TBH. I tried Opera when Colin suggested it, even though i never heard of it before. I am always looking for a better browser, and it could have been by a company named poop products for all i care. it is a great browser already, and if the few tweaks come into play that have been mentioned, i will be switching to it full time.

I really dislike chrome; I can't change it so that there is a file menu above the tabs, I can't change how much history is stored. I can't restrict it to "Allow cookies for the site I am browsing to." Instead, it gives me an annoying list to fill out of sites to allow cookies from. And like safari, vBull 3 doesn't show the Quick Links menu.

I'd rather stay with Firefox.
I love the inspect element bit
In firefox, Crtl+Click an element (won't work on links it seems :S) then right-click and choose "View selection source," I thought this was always better.

Last edited:
I bet Firefox is about to crap in their pants right now.

Sure, people aren't all switching over just yet, but... I see potential in that browser. Give it a year, and we'll all be using Chrome, laughing about Firefox & Opera.

Back