• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Good guide for VPS noob

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
I have a buddy wanting to make a VPS for online testing with a spare domain he has. I don't want to sit here and hold his hand through setup and and administration. He needs to be able to set up a DNS server, so he can hold name servers and MX records. He's just going to install the ISPConfig control panel so he'll have an easy time installing and using that. He just has to get the DNS/security part running. So is there a simple guide he can use? Is the Howtoforge guide a decent start for a newb?

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch

Get a VPS from a provider that uses HyperVM and install LxAdmin on it... That is by far the best free panel that I have used. LxAdmin will be much easier to use and manage than ISPConfig will ever be IMO.

How to forges linux atricals are usually home server related. Obviously only some of that stuff relates to an external server.
Is he doing this from a home PC?
Installing HyperVm on my home PC actually went down without a hitch, but not on my dedicated with the same operating system following the same instructions, so remember guides are just that, a guide. Its likely it was written for an older version so he may still rely on you for help.
I know even with an abundance of home servers to test with, im still completely baffeled by a hell of alot of things :(

I've never found that HowToForge site that helpfull.
The wikipedia on VPS servers is more descriptive and helpful IMO. (Sounds stupid, but it gets to the point, and has helpful external links)

Same goes for their "the perfect setup" articals.
Information is always outdated and only 1/2 the linux command line commands work, the packages they tend to download (being old articals) have been updated for a newer version of the OS and fail on install.
Tho i must say, i find the same for alot of linux tuts... :(

Yeah, same here. I guess the saying is true "Want something doing, do it yourself". (in the terms, get your own server, and keep testing :p)

Back