• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Glacier Host ~

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
Seems to be gone for good right now. I can't get the VPS working anymore. So far, I'm going to call it dead. Sorry to everyone that was hosted.

That's it? No warning, no informations before? Glacier host will be closed forever?

what's the problem btw?

Last edited:
Well, my VPS is basically dead and the tech that was helping me fix it, the one from the company I bought from can't fix the problem. So, the only thing working on the VPS is backend. As I think it to be an apache or PHP problem. The only way that I know to fix it is to re-install apache. But, that would remove ALL accounts on the server.

Yes, it is fixed. :) Finally, took us 48 hours. But, I don't know how much longer I'll be offering free cPanel hosting.

Well, I just found out today, I had no more management. Lol, oh well. I'm going to be removing cPanel and replacing it with another panel. Any recommendations on another good panel?

VHCS is okay but CAN be a pain in the --- to install, Works well with debian4.
It lacks many things...
I am in love with debain and VHCS is really good with debian, but if you cant manage cpanel yourself, your going to find it very hard with VHCS

Sorry to hear that.
I only just chanced by this thread, though provider EndOfLife's are always for variants on these kinds of problems.

LayeredPanel is another good panel for free hosting.

Glad to hear you got the problem worked out. :) It is always sad to see other hosts closed down, so I am happy to know that's not the case this time around!

Melting Glaciers

Seems to be gone for good right now. I can't get the VPS working anymore. So far, I'm going to call it dead. Sorry to everyone that was hosted.

Hi Schmarvin.

Can you explain a little more about exactly what this means, and how your new venture with Cross Industries escapes this fate?

Well, although I used to offer cPanel hosting for free, it became too expensive. And yes, I came to expect nothing in return. But, I offered ad-based plans which offered more space/bandwidth for the clients, and people took advantage of that and didn't place ads. As well as overloading the server with junk.

Now, I've got a DirectAdmin VPS sponsored. But, its not as great as cPanel to people. Yet, its $10 more, and requires higher server specs. Can't find a sponsor for a cPanel VPS yet. I'm still looking. But, as for now. I'm using Cross Industries. I may be renewing Glacier Host.

Explanation (as by a user of Cross Industries)

Hi Schmarvin.

Can you explain a little more about exactly what this means, and how your new venture with Cross Industries escapes this fate?

I'll explain that, if it's OK.

Basically, as explained in the announcement on the Cross Industries forum, the VPS crashed (or, more specifically, Apache) when he tried to install WordPress MU for his automated blog hosting system. I would guess that it was because it required an edit of the httpd.conf file to add Wildcard DNS (as required). Somehow, during the encoding, the file got out of whack. Thus, as a result, Apache crashes and the server is down.

The reason it probably won't happen now is because he probably won't have a need to edit any important system file, thus the system runs by itself. And, he has two servers now so one crashing will only bring one control panel system down, and possibly the forum (depending on which VPS it is).

Again, this is what I think, based on info I have and a bit of logical thinking. If this explains it, great, and if it doesn't, Schmarvin can try to help there.

Back