• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Give me your thoughts about this computer

utcrazy

Wo ist mein handy
NLC
Hi Ya'll,

For the first time in two years, I"m buying a new computer! Now it's not because I'm ignorant to the new advances in technology, but up until now my computer has served me very well, it's just time for a change. Please look at the hardware I've selected, and let me know if there's any conflicting differences in them, I.E.: They won't work together!

Xion XION2-SL Silver ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT 2X120MM Fans 450W W/ LED Fans & Window

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail

ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA ATX LGA775 Conroe PT800 PRO/ULTRA DDR DDR2 AGP PCI-E16 SATA Sound Motherboard

Samsung PC3200 1GB DDR400 184PIN DIMM Memory OEM

ASUS Extreme AX300SE-X Radeon X300SE PCI-E 128MB 64BIT DDR VGA DVI-D TV-OUT Video Card

Another stick of 512MB RAM will be added that I already have.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Post em here.

A board with both AGP and PCI-E x16.
A board with DDR and DDR2.

What is this world coming to.

The being said, I would use the DDR2 capabilities, it isnt that much more expensive than just DDR, and the difference you'll get is worth it.

Also, what HDD choices are you going to make? Cannot forget about that. Def. go for a SATA one, I would reccomend a nice 10k RPM one too.

I've actually changed this around a bit, haven't ordered yet, but I think I'm going for the Conroe 2.1gHz CPU and a different Asus motherboard. hard drive will be a Samsung 200GB hard drive, not SATA though, I might change that. Video card is a 512mb Nvidia Geforce type card.

There is no reason NOT to get a SATA drive IMO. Ditch the 512mb card to a 256 if you have to and get SATA instead. Nobody needs a vid card that big, they are outdated in 3 months!

Well, if you go with a 10,000 RPM drive, speed is going to increase. By sticking with a 7200, you won't notice a huge speed increase. Theoratically, IDE can go up to 133 and SATA up to 150 mb/s, so not a crazy noticable difference.

Airflow will also be better slightly since it uses a much smaller cable, and eventually I would prophesize that SATA will replace IDE all together eventually, so you could "take" your hdd with you to another machine if need comes in future years.

You could look into a RAID setup in the future. That is a noticable difference, usually around 10% increase.

Hope that helps somewhat. Finally, I'll close with the fact that usually a SATA drive isn't much more in price compared to a nice IDE of the same capacity.

Example: Seagate 7200RPM 3.0gb/s SATA 250gb: 74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148111
Compare to: Samsung 7200RPM ATA133 250gb: 73.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152031

'Tis a nice P.C.

I *had* A case with a window, and they are veeery distracting. I prefer my good ol' black case :) An' it still has a green glow which is much more appealing.

I currently have a case on my computer, but it's bellow me, so I don't see it too often, I really could go either way on that one.

Why the dual core CPU? At a low speed too by new standards that's one for a laptop not a 'desktop' system. I have a dual core laptop and it's okay but still at 2G dual it locks at the same bits as always.

Best bet get a good MB (ASUS is a good buy) a dual CPU board (it does help if you have apps that will use it and you can spare the time to allocate utilisation).

Unless your a gamer the GFX card is fine with most 256MB cards (so budget is no probs) spend little and add it to RAM.

2 SATA disks cofig'd as a RAID are good (saves a backup requirement if it's a mirror config)

Agree on the case - but get one with a good PSU (450W min is good).

Let me show you the updated changes

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz (1066MHz) 2MB L2 Cache Socket 775 Processor

BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC nVidia GeForce 7950GT Chipset (565MHz) 512MB GDDR3 (1430MHz)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache (OEM)

Corsair DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz Value Select 1GB 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (VS1GB667D2) (x2)

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 775 nVidia nForce 4 SLI X16 Dual-Ch DDR2 667/533 2X PCI Express x16@ x16 Speed 7.1-Ch Audio Dual GB Lan SATA2 2 x IEEE 1394a

Bit of an upgrade on most things. As for why choose dual core at such a low speed, even though the above is 2.1gHz, these can be overclocked to much higher, and the Core 2 duo's have made a huge improvement over any single core P4, as much as intel dosen't admit it, they've gone back almost to the P3 architecture, just more clock speed, and dual core.They just don't want to admit P4 was a step down in all ways except clock speed.

thats a bit of a change from your original specs you posted above. I'm guessing you have more money than you thought.

Yeah, it's a bit of a step up for everything, I hope to have everything all shipped here and put together by next friday, will update ya'll. Should be a nice multimedia machine.

Man all this hardware is confusing. Anywa the second one has a good processor and graphics cards, thats all i care about computers. Anyway looks good. I wish i was that rich to get a computer like you :p

It's actually quite affordable. Just need to know where the delas are good, I'm sure your host is making enough money for it.

lol ive made like $5 were getting a intel Mac someday just if i brought it in the states the shipping is gonna double the price but if you look at www.pricespy.co.nz you can get an idea of how much parts cost here

Back