• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Giant request: 15TB traffic and a few GB hdd space. SVN Sponsering for a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

markg85

Hey,

i`m a member of this site for years now and i`ve even had some sites about the game of that site, but i lost interest in that game and quit those sites.. now i`m just helping them sometimes with some things or with posting (good) new idea`s for the game and so i ended up a few days ago posting a proposal for there game to release the open beta on a SVN repository (so not the coding but the compiled files!! they don`t want to open up the code) so that any person can try out the latest build of that game (ESF and that stands for Earth`s Special Forces).

The leader of the project said this about the open beta (also readable on there site in the latest news item at this moment)

As of the last week's meeting, Sunday December 24th, it has been decided that ESF will be OPEN BETA. So what does this mean? A snapshot of the current inteam will be made available publicly, on a bi-weekly basis. That is right, an exact copy of what is being tested inteam will be available to you. This does come with a down side, however. Here is what harSens has to say about the open beta:

"It might be unbalanced, buggy and contains some console commands to make testing easier, that could be considered hacks. If you want to play competitively at a stable server, this might not be the release for you. However, if you would like to take a look in our kitchen, you might want to check this out."

When we say a snapshot will be available, it will be just that. No extra effort will be made to ensure things are complete or stable. The release will contain what ever new stuff has been added on that day of the release. Currently, we are looking into a couple different distribution methods. Once that is sorted out we will begin the open beta! More information will be available later on.

when i saw that i posted the propasal which was actually something the ESF coders also thought about, but they just don`t have the bandwidth avalible to do this on there servers.

For some information:
Images about esf: http://www.esforces.com/?p=gallery&gp=main
Game information: http://www.esforces.com/?p=about

And some quotes on the SVN`s data usage from one of the esf coders called HarSens:
Eh, 1TB might not be enough. An update could involve animation on all models, 1 or 2 maps and new code. This could easily add up to 50-75 MB. If we update 2-weekly and have 100,000 downloads, this could add up to 15TB. This is all a very high estimate and would definatly not happen every month, but they should be aware of that..

I'm not sure how happy Greg will be placing banner to other hosting providers on his site, I'll ask him today. If they want however, they can modify the esf splash screen.

and

(that was on the question if they want me to search for a provider)
Fine with me, we'll need about 500MB of disk space and we'll probably burn a lot of bandwith (I think we had >100,000 downloads of esf 1.2).

last one:

I don't want to open the source, we don't have the bandwith to release at esforces.com.

Zipped up, without the jappack and the mp3s, the current version is about 250MB. I suppose we can always release the full version on ftp (hl2files, esf-world) and have some incremental download elsewhere.

NOTE:: hl2-files and esf-world are fine for the files but not for the svn. and that`s what they prefer. if all attempts fail to find a svn provider they can always do it on those sites.

Well than i think you now know a bit about esf and why i do this.

Now for the interesting details for the possible provider:
The ESF Team can`t possible place a large scale banner to your site on the esforces.com main site because they are currently (and since the beginning of esf) are hosted by oktagone but there is a option to modify the start spash in the game to show your advertisements.

The SVN is likely to be downloaded 10,000 times or more a month!! (highest estimate is that 10 times) so you do reach alot of people!!

Also in the news posts on the esforces main page your name and link to the site of you will be displayed when there is some new post to make about the svn server or new update avalible in the svn server.

What is required?
Well a stable provider in the first place
a provider with some history isn`t bad at all.. no offense to the new providers who are around for a few months with a few servers, but you must stay realistic. this request is just not for them... unless you just have 15TB left and do nothing with it.

The highest estimate was 15TB so i think that`s the amount that is needed as the highest.. i personally think that this project on SVN will take up about 5 till 7 TB a month and perhaps 15TB in the first few months when it`s all brand new, but as soon as alot of people have the full SVN checkout they only need to do incremental upgrades from there so the start will be high.. no doubt about it but it will get lower after it.

so anyone willing to do this?
and just to make things clear. i`m looking for a host and tell them what they want to know.. the final yes and no`s will need to be discussed with the coder that i`ve quoted above (HarSens).

I hope to see some reply`s for this.
thanx in favor and you can always pm me with questions or just post a reply here.

you do realise that to get any where near that kind of bandwidth you would require an unmetered 50Mbps conection running 24 hours/day at full capacity. I could offer you that hosting free however i would need over 2,000,000 popups per day in return just to fund the bandwidth. Or i could do it for $1500US/month.

BTW - Do you seriously expect 100,000 downloads per month.

If you can do 2,000,000 popups per day, or $1500US/month pm me, if not good luck.

Last edited:
@WiiNet see pm
@94MB.com thanx but i pass that. (i hate popups and the price isn`t possible for the esf team)

FYI, crystal VPS sells 100mbit unmetered dedicated bandwidth, for around $950/month with rackspace.

You wont get what you need without paying over $800/month. It's as simple as that.

i`m sure atleast some hosting company will see the opportunity's that this brings and is willing to offer it :) perhaps a company that is already doing something with games?

btw.. the 15TB is the highest estimate!!! that can be reached when all files are updated and 100000 people are downloading it.. both are not likely to happen. a safer bet is 5 till 7 tb and 10000 people downloading it and i thing that even that might be on the high side.

so please don`t focus on the 15TB.. the 15TB can be the peak!! not the standard monthly traffic...

Unless placing adverts on your site is going to generate $800/month. No one will be interested in giving you 15TB.

Your standards of 15TB/m for free is asking for alot
As every1 else has already said if this company/yourself
aren't willing to put atleast $850/m minimum there's just no way
your going to find that type of hosting in my mind.

The SVN is likely to be downloaded 10,000 times or more a month!! (highest estimate is that 10 times) so you do reach alot of people!!
I suggest you post in the paid hosting requests to get a decent sized paid plan to get started, then as you grow, the dedicated request forum.

You can't expect everything for free.

Edit: I just discovered http://www.freededicatedservers.com is still around :p :evilb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back