• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Getting in to web programming...

guitarnerd

Microsoft owns all
NLC
Well I have become pretty good at programming with Visual Basic, Java, and some C#, but now I want to get into web programming what do you reccomend. I really have done nothing but edit some scripts for forums like php, jscripts, and some perl for some stuff on my site, but I want to write my own stuff now. What do you recommend I use that would be the easiest transfer from what I can already do?

Code:
public class pantcake {
	public static void main(string[] args) {
		for(int counter=0; counter>0; counter++) {
			System.out.println("Nice to see you know some JAVA!");
		}
	}
}

How about PERL?

I guess I should go buy another Oreilly book. I would kinda like to get into java script but ASP seems cool too.

ASP

Yeah ASP is awsome when used by people who know what they are doing(..knowing VB). I like PHP because it's easy and all my attemps at making asp scripts have failed. I can do a basic page w/ on the fly graphics, but past that..... Well I'm putting a little PHP script in this post. This reply changes according what time it is.
PHP:
<?php
$hour = date("H");
if ($hour <= 8)
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 4AM and 8AM";
}
elseif ($hour > 8 && $hour < 12)
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 8AM and 12PM";
}
elseif ($hour > 12 && $hour <16)
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 12PM and 4PM";
}
elseif ($hour > 16 && $hour <20)
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 4PM and 8PM";
}
elseif ($hour > 20 && $hour <24)
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 8PM and 12AM";
}
else
{
echo "You Are Looking At This Post Between 12AM and 4AM";
}
?>

Sorry

Sorry about the script not working at the forum. Well here is a link to were the script works. http://members.tripod.co.uk/erazor05/time.php
There is other ways to write that script I could have used switch instead of if, elseif, and else. The time on that script is UK time so add the hours or take away according to where you live. PHP OWNS(..and so does Linux)!

ASP ?? no !!
dont go with ASP !

ASP = MICROSOFT !
PHP = OPEN SOURCE

do your really want to run your web site on a WIN server ? when you can tun your web site on apache on linux....
go with PHP

PHP is alright, but something about Perl I like, mabe it's because I'm just learning it, but I really find it interesting...

I know a bit of php and I must say it is very good for internet programming. Why use php?

• Its open-source.
  • There are loads and loads of php scripts out there. Probably more than asp and maybe more than perl.
  • php is the fastest
  • Most of the famous scripts use php. Vbulletin is an example.
  • A lot of sites use a php backend.
  • More hosts support php than hosts support asp and sometimes perl.
  • Php is windows compatable but works best on linux or unix.

ASP => VB
Microsoft is stopping support/development of ASP using VB.
Not sure on all the details but thats what i heard from the grape vine

To tell you the truth I would like to make my entire site by using include command in php. Like is it possible since my entire template is pretty much the same to just make the links call a text file and then instead of reloading the entire page it just calls up the text file/html??? I think that would be very cool to do for my site.

I think its possible. What I use for websitearena (my new site) is I tell it to get the data from a mysql db. That way I can do more stuff with it, etc. I think its faster too.

PHP

Yeah Go Linux! The only reason I said use ASP is because he knows VB. Although you don't really need to know anything except some basic html to use php. Well just wanted to say, if you can make a basic php guestbook w/ MySQL which is easy; you can make a basic form.. Check out the Tutorial I posted!

Back