• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Generalized Computer Configurator?

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
Just wondering if anyone knew of any "General" computer configurators that take into account every part available currently in the United States (that are currently in production.) Most computer dealers that are online don't have this liberty, and limit their selection. But when you have a local custom computer store, which can order any part that's available to the United States, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Also, the configurator has to tell me when parts conflict (IE: Motherboard <> Processor mainly, as I know that I need a better Power Supply for higher graphics. The Motherboard <> Processor conflict is my biggest scare, as most sites I've been to don't warn me that the motherboard cannot handle the CPU's wattage load.)

The configurator has to do AMD processors, I'm not really interested in Intel's. it also has to tell me the "possible" price of the configuration.

Last edited:
Well, I've been building computers for awhile, so shoot me questions if you'd like.

Lets take an example. Lets say you have an old 739 Socket (AMD). This used to be old dual-cores, usually AMD Athlon 64s. Now, if you had one of those motherboards, with a socket 739, but had a single-core with it. By default, you basically assume your motherboard can take the upgrade. Well, you'd be wrong. The motherboard has declined in its power/performance. Also, this board may not be 100% compatible with dual-cores, it may not be in the manual.

So, what you need to do is find the correct Wattage for both the processor requirements and motherboard. Motherboards are easy to satistfy, as you just plug in play. But, that motherboard may not let up any of that power to that CPU, that's why majority of modern boards now require a 4-pin power connector to the CPU for power. Heavy motherboard restrictions in the bios may also be in effect.

Well, here's a base custom computer configuration I sent to a local computer store:

Requirements:
-- No Fancy Gamer Case Or Whatnot, just something simple to have good cooling (No Liquid Please) for the system.
-- MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard (140 W)
-- Rosewill RNX-N300 PCI Wireless-N Card (Or Wireless-N PCI Adapter (NO USB, Must Be Internal) That's Avail.) *
-- 8 GB RAM (Or More)
-- AMD Phenom II 965 Processor (Quad Core - 3.4 GHz - 125 Watt - AM3)
-- ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express 16x (HDMI - Dual Head) **
-- 1TB Harddrive
-- DVD+/-RW (DL As Well) / CD-RW (No LG, please use LiteOn or less expensive brand)
-- 850W Power Supply (If you can, suggest a lower Wattage, but not the bare minimum to run everything.)
-- Windows 7 Pro x64 (Mainly for WinXP Mode for older apps I have.)
-- No Media Card Readers
-- Front Headphone/USB Would Be Preferred as well as back audio jacks.

These are the base requirements for my system. The motherboard should have no onboard video, and should be the lowest possible price for these base requirements if the listed motherboard above does not meet the other requirements.

* This Wireless-N Adapter is compatible with Linux/ubuntu according to google search, hence why I chose it. However, due to the possibility of ACTA cracking down on FOSS/etc. this may be a moot point to consider. I do not want a cord coming out of the Wireless Adapter, so if you have a better one to suggest, please do so with that in mind. To rectify even further my choice of a wireless card, it's because I want it hooked up to my Television Set instead of buying an extra monitor. Sadly, I cannot move the cable modem to the TV Set.

** If you know of a DirectX 11 Graphics Card that supports 1080p, HDMI, and has 1 GB of VRAM Dedicated that is less expensive, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Last edited:
Wait, your looking to build a new computer with those specs? Or those are your current specs?

If you want to have a custom computer build, I could easily give you a great quote.
If those are your current specs, could you please provide the motherboard you currently have and the operating system?

Wait, your looking to build a new computer with those specs? Or those are your current specs?

If you want to have a custom computer build, I could easily give you a great quote.
If those are your current specs, could you please provide the motherboard you currently have and the operating system?

That's actually the kind I want to build. But please keep in mind the "suggestions" as well, I don't want to blindly have these requirements bite me in the back later.

All of what you posted can be bought for a reasonable price off Ebuyer. I've checked myself for a build pretty much exact to yours. Only problem for you is shipping to the US.

All of what you posted can be bought for a reasonable price off Ebuyer. I've checked myself for a build pretty much exact to yours. Only problem for you is shipping to the US.

I just can't assemble it myself, so buying all the parts will do me no good by myself.

Well, PM me, I'll write up a quote for the parts and labor to assemble it. Also, shipping through UPS so it should be pretty cheap to anywhere in the US.

I can't do it now though, it'll take 5+ months to scrounge up enough money (1500+ USD is a lot for me.)

And as I've said, I hate cards, so don't expect a credit or debit card from me. It's either paypal or money order. Nothing else.

I can't do it now though, it'll take 5+ months to scrounge up enough money (1500+ USD is a lot for me.)

And as I've said, I hate cards, so don't expect a credit or debit card from me. It's either paypal or money order. Nothing else.

One, I doubt it'd cost over a near $1500. And, secondly, I do accept paypal. I don't accept money orders however.

In that case, you might want to put a little extra aside, the AMD Phenom II X6 will be out by then, an extra 2 cores for not that much difference.

In that case, you might want to put a little extra aside, the AMD Phenom II X6 will be out by then, an extra 2 cores for not that much difference.

What speed do you think it'll start at though? I need 2.5 GHz or more. (But prefer 3 GHz or more)

Oh they're actually out now in some places? I didn't hear anything of it. :S

But the normal edition is I think 2.6-2.8Ghz, and the black edition is 3.2Ghz

Why not just build it yourself? It's fairly straight forward... essentially screw the motherboard in then plug everything else in.

Why not just build it yourself? It's fairly straight forward... essentially screw the motherboard in then plug everything else in.

I've fried 2 Graphics Cards and one sound card by assembling a PC myself 5 times... yes, I grounded myself each time... and STILL fried those.

*sigh* I am NOT assembling another one. Plus, I've lost screws I could never find again.

I could easily walk you through it.

The only thing you really need to have to walk mer through is the CPU/Fan. I've put a motherboard on twice, put RAM in goddess knows how many times, a new GPU (PCI) twice, Sound Card (PCI) Twice, even hooked up a sound card to a CDROM via a small cable. I know my way around, but I'd rather not do it.

Back