• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

"Garbage Anti-Host"

TaoPhoenix

NLC
This is one part frustration, several parts ignorance, and a dash of black humor. I have a bunch of spare comps drifting around my apt. Given some of the hysterically funny non-service experiences I have had in this field, I am wondering who wants to help with the software side to mess around with an "Anti-Host".

The idea is to set up the minimum software necessary and then let come-what-may. Bandwidth is totally unknown: "whatever people fight over on my DSL". Account size is not yet determined.

Comments? What actually kills these hosts? How fast will this project get hosed and why?

Right now, I'm saying go for it. Teach people a lesson the hard way.
Unless I've gotten the wrong end of the stick, in which case, I shall still say the above.

So whats the idea here?
Setup a bunch of old machines as webservers and sucker some poor people into using the service?
Or do you actually plan on disclosing the system setup?

"More Black Humor, Captain"

So whats the idea here?
Setup a bunch of old machines as webservers and sucker some poor people into using the service?
Or do you actually plan on disclosing the system setup?

Sorry anyone if I wasn't clear enough. Y'all should know I am occasionally clueless, but never mean on purpose.

This experimental project would only be announced here on FWS under this thread. Part of it is genuinely educational; I know that lots of things go wrong with the free host world, but I don't understand any of the internal mechanics of why.

(Two very nice members here are excluded from any diatribes because their efforts failed through complicated reasons.)

While learning some interesting tips, I plan on offering the FWS crew to join in the black humor. (Including a parody of TOS. "1. Illegal files are subject to any form of malicious alteration I can think of. After all, since they are illegal, why are you complaining? 2. Bandwidth: "Unknown" - a far cry from "unmetered", as I have no idea what tricks Verizon may pull. etc."

Trouble is, I have zero clue on the software side, so I do need a little high grade help. But I'm figurin' once the basics are in place, it kinda runs itself until those educational limiting factors appear.

It will be a funny benchmark. "The World's Worst FreeHost lasted 8 months, why can't you?"

Oh! The best part! No ads, no P2H! It's the host with Nothing to Gain! (Why would I? I have a standard job.) But if someone wants to make a forum, posts are optional if people get a kick out of it. TOS: "Spam posts are subject to any form of abusive moderation deemed funny."

Check your ISPs TOS. Some explicitly prohibit the use of your service to host servers. Also, upload b/w (to the net) tends to be a fraction of what your download b/w is. My ISP bans it - my upload b/w is 1Mbps and my d/l is 7Mbps.

That's useless for serving out pages unfortunately.

"Check TOS on ISP"

Check your ISPs TOS. Some explicitly prohibit the use of your service to host servers. Also, upload b/w (to the net) tends to be a fraction of what your download b/w is. My ISP bans it - my upload b/w is 1Mbps and my d/l is 7Mbps.

That's useless for serving out pages unfortunately.

Good tip. It will take me a couple days to do that.

I am prepared for *dismal* bandwidth, but I thought that was different from the host melting completely into "site not found". I am interested in whatever those secondary reasons might be.

There might be an interesting article out of this if it ever gets going.

Anyone, how hard is the software setup? Any other interest?

News:
My ISP's level 1 rep claims (for now?) that there are not supposed to be any external restrictions on this kind of project.

Next step = ?

Well in that case, they'd let you run a server off it but they'd limit you after a certain amount of bandwidth is consumed. I know Virgin lets you do that (Their TOS says you can't, but they don't terminate the contract, they'd be stupid too - though you'd need at least a 20mb link - since they limit you for 5 hours to 8mb.

You'd need a better line no doubt.

Okay, so this is sounding like the batch of sites where "the site couldn't load" aka "oversold specials". Is that how those hosts die - at the ISP level when they hit a cap?

Doud this is just uncool there are enough garbage hosts as there is making one to make a point is like going poop just to say to your mommy I went poop!!!!

Doud this is just uncool there are enough garbage hosts as there is making one to make a point is like going poop just to say to your mommy I went poop!!!!

Say what??

If my benglish is correct, you think its a bad idea, and i have to agree!

However if your intention is just for messing around with your own stuff and learning, then i say go for it, but if you intend to actually offer it as hosting (and not inform people of the setup) then i say BAD!!!

This'll sound like a good idea until you loose your internet connection because one of your users does something stupid.

This'll sound like a good idea until you loose your internet connection because one of your users does something stupid.
I must agree with John,

Since they will easily know your running a server they will monitor it closely to watch for malicious activity which may result in termination of your ISP and if severe enough get you Black Listed...

I think it would be funnier if they actually told the clients and they still used it with the bad setup.

However if your intention is just for messing around with your own stuff and learning, then i say go for it, but if you intend to actually offer it as hosting (and not inform people of the setup) then i say BAD!!!

This is exactly the idea. It's part humorous parody, part education. I hereby announce no one should give me critical files!

Someone else said "great until your ISP nukes your connection". I wasn't clear how fast that happens if I monitor the signup clients, but short of a total nuke, I want to find out the difference between *slow* (cheap ISP package) vs. total nuke.

Plus, we could make it a perverse joke. By calling it the World's Worst Host, the longer it lasts the funnier it gets.

However, by the lack of specific software offers, I think I am hearing through absentia that the software side is indeed a witchin' affair, which must be part of the discussion.

But but, if you get your ISP connection axed, how will you get back online? I like the humourous aspect of what you are thinking - very ironic :evilb:

If ISP gets axed...

But but, if you get your ISP connection axed, how will you get back online? I like the humourous aspect of what you are thinking - very ironic :evilb:

At least my first call with Verizon had some low level guy promising a blue streak that I wouldn't get axed, only that my bandwidth "is what it is" so to speak.

So, with a new term "Unknown Bandwidth!!!!!" I am back to my next question, that of "what is the limiting factor?"

Back