• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Gameserver CPU/Bandwidth Requirements

feugatos

Hi there guys,
Some friend of mine and I are hoping to start a Call of Duty 4 server real soon.
But since I'm new I'd like some help on that.
More specifically I'm concerned about the bandwidth requirements of a game server.
So let's say I host a 16-player server. A 10MB upload link is more than enough to support that. But how much bandwidth would it use in a month in the impossible senario of being in full capacity 24/7?
Furthermore I've read that the linux dedicated server of Call of Duty 4 can run without any lag on a P4@3.2GHz and that 1GB of ram is sufficient.
Do you know any VPS provider in Europe that can provide that?
Finally, should I choose a VPS or a Dedicated Server?
Thanks and sorry for the trouble...

I'd say get a server with a Xeon processor, to be safe say 4GB RAM, and either a 100Mbit or 1Gbit unmetered line?

I don't know, you're best asking on a specific gaming based community.

1GB ram should be sufficient for a 16-player server, as well as >1.5GHz processing power. As for network speed, you will most likely want at least a 100mbit connection, or your clients will begin to experience lagspikes when more are connected

1GB ram should be sufficient for a 16-player server, as well as >1.5GHz processing power. As for network speed, you will most likely want at least a 100mbit connection, or your clients will begin to experience lagspikes when more are connected

Celeron D 1.4 GHZ is the minimum to run at least 8-12 players, It runs great but i'd recommend more server resources to maintain the server stable.

I can't play Call of Duty 4 because my computer has only 1 processor.
Recommended Specs
CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better
RAM: 1G for XP; 2G for Vista
Hard Drive: 8GB of free space
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better
You can read on ehow.com they have an answer.

Last edited:
I know people who run their Dedicated server only with 512 RAM. So ram ain't the problem. My concern is the bandwidth requirements. An 100mbps line is enough for a 24 player server, but how much traffic would that server require in a month?
Would 250GB of data transfer be enough? That's what I'm not really sure of...

Back