• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Frequently Asked Questions

worlditsme

I have noticed that a lot of my users, and I'm sure this applies to other hosts too, seem to be asking the following questions:

Here are some answers for those of you less familiar with web hosting

Q. Why won't my site work?
A. You need to call your main file index.htm for static sites, index.php for php sites, index.shtm or index.shtml for SSI sites, and index.cgi for CGI sites.

Also, you need to upload your files within the public_html folder if one exists on your account.

Q. Why am I getting permission error messages on files?
A. You need to run the CHMOD FTP command on the relevant files.

I hope this helps some of you out there who are new to web hosting.

John

Last edited:
Why can't you call your main page "MyPage.html"? I don't have an "index" site on any of my mirrors and I do just fine. Am I missing something?

Why can't you call your main page "MyPage.html"? I don't have an "index" site on any of my mirrors and I do just fine. Am I missing something?

Because it would require an .htaccess file to created for redirection (if your host allows it) or a separate per account php.ini file
Other than that, the standard php write uses index.htm/html or index.php as the main file.

it depends on what they installing if they installing web yea is fine if the install forum is different but thanks for the information some users might be find it usefull/

By default almost every web server interpprets the default main page to be index.php, index.html and etc. That is why the most common term for these pages is "index pages". As Schmarvin mentioned and if you are using Linux-based web hosting, you can easily change your index page. This can be done by inserting the following simple line of code in your .htaccess file:

DirectoryIndex MyPage.html

That way you are "telling" the web server that your main page is called MyPage.html.

Back