• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free VPS's? Seriously?

The same concept can be said about donating software/server mirrors. You give back to the community but at the cost of several hundred dollars a month. However what is having your name on CentOS or Ubuntu's Website worth?

The same concept can be said about donating software/server mirrors. You give back to the community but at the cost of several hundred dollars a month. However what is having your name on CentOS or Ubuntu's Website worth?

for hosting a mirror of major opensource project, which those projects is recognize by the public, it is a different case compare to what we are discussing now.
:)

The bar shouldn't of been raised this high for the community. It's making it more and more acceptable. I remember a while back, there was a request for one in the forum section and all the person got was a thread full of flaming, what's changed from then to now? I hope it doesn't go further than this because people are expecting more and more for free. Its like walking into a store and asking for a pair of shoes free if you tell people where you got them from.

One of the biggest problems is that no matter if it is free or not, either a shared account, reseller, vps, or what have you. People in general a very ungrateful and only want more.
Just look at our free vps offer, I thought I clearly laid out who I would not give a free vps too, but I still got hundreds of "I want a free vps" or, "I have a brand new site with no traffic, but I need a vps." or the best was "can you donate cPanel as well."

Sadly this is just the progression of hosting, just look at the progression of shared hosting, the avg website is what under 200mbs but if you tell people that there only getting 250mbs of webspace and 5gbs of bandwidth you wouldn't get that customer.

Off topic, its sad that people will get a $5 cup of coffee everyday, but pay $5/month for quality hosting heck no!

The ones eSupun and I give away are too small to use for a big site anyway. It's hard to get apache, php and mysql running at the same time even with almost no traffic.
There were very bad news about you & your hosts. Are they all doing good now?

I don't remember bad news about any of Rsmiley's hosts.

Last edited:
The ones eSupun and I give away are too small to use for a big site anyway. It's hard to get apache, php and mysql running at the same time even with almost no traffic.

I don't remember bad news about any of Rsmiley's hosts.

so the VPS u gave out, the size is only enough to run NGINX and depends on their skill whether they are able to use it or not?
smart move. Lol
i think a lot of them who dun have the skill to configure NGINX will need to upgrade,
hahaha

I would be really interested in trying a free VPS to see how it is. I can't imagine that anything free is worth using at least as far as hosting goes.

Jack

I would just like to add-

Check out http://xeon-network.com now (the original replier to this thread). Non-existent after a very short time. Let this be a lesson to all that we need to be very careful who we rent web space from.

:angel:

----------------------------------------
The Host Genie
Pay as you go plan - Pay for what you use!
Unlimited Plan for $2.95/mo
Order Web Hosting Now
Although I sorta understand your point, does this post really have any place in this thread? Oh and just to inform you, you can change your signature yourself rather than putting it in the post as a fake signature.

I've noted this as well. Most Free VPS offers usually are completely wiped out off the internet a few months later, or are nothing short of a sting operation in that it is only free for the first 90 days and then like $15 a month.

It's a shame that people insist on discrediting the industry with packages too good to last, but that's what we're up against in this business.

Last edited:
@Seraphim, why is it a shame to offer promotions? how is it a discredit to the industry? A free vps is no different then any other product, I mean you can't tell me that cell phones are $9.95 but many are sold at that price. I respect your opinion but I openly disagree.

@Seraphim, why is it a shame to offer promotions? how is it a discredit to the industry? A free vps is no different then any other product, I mean you can't tell me that cell phones are $9.95 but many are sold at that price. I respect your opinion but I openly disagree.

You don't advertise a free cellphone unless you tell them very clearly that it is only free if you sign up for a two year paying contact should they accept it. Like my cellular modem- the hardware device was 70% off if I signed up for a two year contract with penalty for canceling prematurely. Had I not signed up for the contact, the modem would have cost several hundred dollars and been fully useless without some type of service agreement.

My issue with the practice is a lot of promotions based on free accounts and VPSs do not make it clear that it is for promotional purposes only and that you have to pay normal price for it after the promotional period.

Yes you get attention- negative attention from an irate customer who suddenly got an invoice for a service they thought was free. Thus you end up with bad reputation from these customers that misunderstood the promotion, and run the risk of losing business.

Last edited:
If the provider does not make it clear that the "free" account is not for life, but for x amount of time, then yes that is pure crap and wrong. I guess I missed the lack of reference to promotion or limited time offer. Thanks...

Hosting companies can't even afford to offer Free shared hosting service, and its about VPS. Everyone knows what a VPS Hosting values nowadays. Its a next step after shared hosting. Nobody can offer a VPS for free and if someone offered either they will face a big loss or will fail again.

Hosting companies can't even afford to offer Free shared hosting service, and its about VPS. Everyone knows what a VPS Hosting values nowadays. Its a next step after shared hosting. Nobody can offer a VPS for free and if someone offered either they will face a big loss or will fail again.

You are so wrong my friend.

Read this thread from the beginning. You'll see why companies offer vps's for free. And it's not a loss. But a profit.

Possibly some companies turn a profit, but I have to say SonalAher brings up a good point when he talks about "discrediting" this industry.

I've noticed that year after year, the rising percentage of hosts popup and disappear - it is disturbing when you consider how their users are just getting shuffled round and round. The idea of keeping a webhost for an extended period of time is (in many consumer eyes) a bizarre idea unless you go with a huge hostgator-like company.

It is sad that this industry has been tainted by a lot of inexperienced folks offering services they cannot maintain, financially or otherwise.

I realize this rant is trending away from the idea of free VPSs, and I certainly don't suggest that every free hosting or free vps service cannot maintain itself or turn a profit, but such a large magnitude of hosts manage to fail. It is so bad that when I shop for hosting I am so weary of every host.

Rating Services

Possibly some companies turn a profit, but I have to say SonalAher brings up a good point when he talks about "discrediting" this industry.

I've noticed that year after year, the rising percentage of hosts popup and disappear - it is disturbing when you consider how their users are just getting shuffled round and round. The idea of keeping a webhost for an extended period of time is (in many consumer eyes) a bizarre idea unless you go with a huge hostgator-like company.

It is sad that this industry has been tainted by a lot of inexperienced folks offering services they cannot maintain, financially or otherwise.

I realize this rant is trending away from the idea of free VPSs, and I certainly don't suggest that every free hosting or free vps service cannot maintain itself or turn a profit, but such a large magnitude of hosts manage to fail. It is so bad that when I shop for hosting I am so weary of every host.

I am working to reverse the logic.

Consumers should be able to count on keeping their host. Therefore consumers should know how long their prospective host has been around. I am happy to have companies doing loss-leaders - that's what competition is, and yes, pretty soon it's going to amp up a level. But now I consider all ads "trash" unless it looks like the host passes some of my eval metrics.

I am working to provide one such eval rating, though there will be others. As long as we can also "watch the watchers" so that metagames don't happen, it simplifies the prospective host-client's decisions.

Haha, VPS are never free, you can get it for at least a coup[le of weeks, then everything i being cleaned for another user to use it...

Make money by advertising to your locals, i got 7 schools here at the bronx paid yearly for my services, etc etc. try it, it brings good money

Haha, VPS are never free, you can get it for at least a coup[le of weeks, then everything i being cleaned for another user to use it...

Make money by advertising to your locals, i got 7 schools here at the bronx paid yearly for my services, etc etc. try it, it brings good money

They will be rotated if you don't do a good job for the sponsor. But it can be lasted for years if you do.

There's always a catch, or it wouldn't be a lasting business plan.

That's the skinny of it.

I've seen VPSes given away as "prizes" for customer referrels though. Which is essentially what most free VPSes need to be marketable, they're not really free.

Back