• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free VPS's? Seriously?

JonnyH

The Hosting Tool
NLC
A year ago we all laughed at the fact of someone offering a free vps and now they're being offered left right and centre.

The free hosting market is seriously going into decline. How on earth do you think a non-profit organisation can afford to offer free vps's?

A year ago we all laughed at the fact of someone offering a free vps and now they're being offered left right and centre.

The free hosting market is seriously going into decline. How on earth do you think a non-profit organisation can afford to offer free vps's?

Not just VPS but Dedicated I noticed when I was checking prices of Dedicated servers on other hosts.

It annoys me because it raises the threshold for what the average consumer can ask for, what someone can handle.

Equipment is still too expensive for allowing that sort of resources for free? When technology advances and prices become rock bottom maybe. A free host needs an established base with constant traffic for any income.

I looked at free hosting but right now there is no money there. I am looking at the fact that my dedi prices are about as low as i can get and make money.

some of these free VPS provider, do have financial support behind them, so they able to sustain.
but there is a lot of them no financial support, hence, close down at the end.
but time can tell us which 1 of them will be able to sustain.
:)

What I'm trying to say is, even if companies are able to sustain it. What is the goal of offering it? In the end it's not giving your company money in any form and its turning people away from your actual income generators.

For someone who doesn't quite know what they need, they will keep asking for these free VPS's, it will damage the communities of respectable hosts who offer the correct amounts and have a business model surrounding it.

@JonnyH,
yeah, i do agree with you.
as asking the free VPS user to place a link back of the sites hosting in that VPS, will not even able to earn back the cost of the VPS at all...

Lets also not forget those companies such as myself that have the money to be able to offer a few VPS's for free as a marketing tool to help promote the new division. Also @CS Squad you speak of link backs, not covering the costs, but yet some of it does. What does a good link back cost, or a banner on a popular website. Most of the time its more then the $15/m vps your donating.

Just a thought.

Providing free VPS's is a nice way of attracting clients to a paid web hosting company. I've been experienced that.

And also the users who wants free VPS's are really crazy about it!:) So if we ask them to "give me your life to get a free vps", then you are done! :p

But of course it is hard to give them away for individuals. But companies get more profits with them. Most of the time, they provides a overselled space for free clients and they only have to put their money to buy a IP for the VPS. It's just about 0.50$

Free VPS is a crazy idea, just like unlimited bandwidth - a lot of hosts will offer it and a large number will meet their demise.

Free vpss, fire and brimestone coming down from the skies, dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together.......mass hysteria!

Free VPS is a crazy idea, just like unlimited bandwidth - a lot of hosts will offer it and a large number will meet their demise.

Free vpss, fire and brimestone coming down from the skies, dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together.......mass hysteria!

No. It's absolutely not!

You'd find it worths if you give vps's for free. I do know it because I do.

to be honest, i would rather selling the VPS with low price instead of giving it away for free
:)

Even I do like selling it if it is owned by me:p But it's owned by one of my sponsors. They want to give it for free. So I act like a translator. I get the VPS's from them. Then give away them for free to members of our forum.

I have no issue offering free VPS to my members, I have the funding to cover it as much as needed. Currently we have no one with enough posts to get a free vps so currently I'm not shelling out money for a node or even a vps from another company. Even when such occurs I will continue to have the funding as its really not that expensive especially if your advertising is paying well or you have paying customers for other items on the side (which I do).

I have no issue offering free VPS to my members, I have the funding to cover it as much as needed. Currently we have no one with enough posts to get a free vps so currently I'm not shelling out money for a node or even a vps from another company. Even when such occurs I will continue to have the funding as its really not that expensive especially if your advertising is paying well or you have paying customers for other items on the side (which I do).

There were very bad news about you & your hosts. Are they all doing good now?

Sometimes, people do it as a loss leader.

Basically thats what we are doing right now. Offering a free VPS, in exchange for ads on their "Popular" website.

In the end it may hopefully increase sales, but yes, it is making us a loss at the moment. But Loss Leaders are very common in the business now.

The one and only thing is you have to be making enough money in other areas to pay for that loss of money.

Sometimes, people do it as a loss leader.

Basically thats what we are doing right now. Offering a free VPS, in exchange for ads on their "Popular" website.

In the end it may hopefully increase sales, but yes, it is making us a loss at the moment. But Loss Leaders are very common in the business now.

The one and only thing is you have to be making enough money in other areas to pay for that loss of money.

You know how they runs.

It is really good if the client gets thousands of unique users a day. Otherwise it is of course useless.

Back