• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FREE PHPBB HOSTING now available through our site!

BlackStorm

Hello,
We have setup a new website that will be offering free phpbb forum hosting.

The site is still in the process of being designed etc. but we will be accepting forum requests.

To get a forum all you have to do is submit a request on the website.

NOT EVERYONE WILL GET FREE FORUM HOSTING, WE HAVE TO CONSIDER EACH REQUEST AS WE COULDNT GIVE IT FREE TO EVERYONE THAT WANTED IT, sorry about this but we do have to restrict it in some way

Feel free to post any questions you have,
John

What do you mean remotely hosted?
I will install the phpbb, we do not allow any other type of forum, the reason for this is that if a user registers on our forum which is www.on.custom-hosting.net/forum they are registered on all forums throughout the network.
Just makes it a lot easier and they dont have to signup for each forum.

Yes you can get FTP access, you can not remove the banner on your site or change the database settings however as the database is done right now so users only have to register on one forum to be part of the whole network, would like to keep it like that :)

What are you looking to do with FTP access anyway?
Its available anyway, I can send you your details if you request a forum.

Thanks,
John

I have no problems at all in your adding mods to your forum :)
You can do anything really exept edit the database files as i said about all users being registered on the network.

Well, i dont have any interest in your hosting at the moment, but i'd just like to say, you have proven yourself a good host.

Thank you very much Silent :)
If anyone has any other questions please just ask,
I dont mind answering anything,
Thanks,
John

I would like to defend the integrity of remotely hosted boards. It offers plenty of customization and it certainly is not "crap". Most remote hosts offer plenty color and image customization, and I have found the control panels of ezBoard and Aimoo to be better than that of phpBB and Invisionboard). They last longer than the average free host, as well.

The only real advantages of a forum script are 1) being able to move from host to host, forum to forum; and 2) adding hacks, as you pointed out. However, you must ask yourself...are mods really necessary to a forum? I find that many admins who hack their board with tons of mods do not even bother to come up with their own design for colors/images, and they end up using a template (or ugh, the default scheme!). Such boards usually end up in the trash pile. I think that mods shouldn't be added unless they are really necessary. :)

Blackstorm, are you offering FTP to all users, or are you simply setting up a typical remote host? :confused:

I think he answered that question, start reading some more. I asked if i signed up, would I have ftp access, he answered yes.

Simple & shortly list my questions, pls.
1. has mail()? I mean, can the phpBB accounts send Notification email to posters?

2. can I upload/use my favorite themes & language & smiles .... etc.
(since mod is accepted, I think it maybe is accepted as well.)

3. every version of phpBB works on your server? is there which version won't work on your server?
(I think make it sure then ppl won't waste time to upload a wrong version)

4. phpBB online & FTP access are 24/7?

Thanks for your reply.

Back