• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Link Checking

jiminsd

I have a reciprocal link page with around 350 links on it. Is there a place to go online to check these links every once in awhile for a dead link? 2nd choice would be a free program that I can download.

I think check&get could work for you! Just search for it at cnet. But you'll have to enter all these links. not hard work though!!

Thanks so far for the great ideas...

I've been using a free version of a program called LinkToLink. It runs great with straight forward links but has problems with links that are in an asp site. Ideally, it would be great to have a link checking ability for asp sites but I havn't found it. So... I figure that I can at least check these asp sites to see if they have dissappeared (some have) by using some other method of a link check.

Mika... good idea but I think there must be something that can check the links with out me having to enter all of the links.

[lhomme]... I should of mentioned that I did try net netmechanic and the free version only did the first 20 or 25 links.

mdm...LinkWatch is a great site and I just tried it. But it only does what I currently have with LinktoLink and comes back as a dead links with asp sites that are actually working. Xenu's Link Sleuth may be the best answer for me. I will download and try it later today.

The simple answer is a free service like netmechanic that will check my one page and all 350 links. Again thanks for the ideas but still looking for the simple answer of an online check site or a program that can check links on asp sites.

Have you tried LinkRunner?

http://www.alertbookmarks.com/lr/

Alert LinkRunner is a nice utility, but I'll be damned if I can get it to work in bookmarks mode!

Without buying it, it will run with all features avail. (last I knew!) for 30 days...

You can check links on remote (HTTP) sites, on your own hard drive (or network drive), in single page or site (enterprise) mode.

Some types of CGIs fool it, and it shows a 404 on pages that work, where as others that are clearly CGIs are not checked at all.

It does work on any server processed page IF you read it from the server (remote/HTTP), but will not parse them correctly if you're doing it offline if the link contains some server-handled code.

Again thanks to all for your help....

mdm... Xenu's Link Sleuth is a great program! Easy to set up and run and it does the job better than I expected. Thanks!

Back