• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free hosting?

kellythomus

Hi all, I read the free hosting terms of service and all, I'm trying to find out if x10hosting allows a Computer Repair Shop site to be hosted on there servers... It'll be a shop online where people could come request support, buy a service such as computer upgrade or repair or even purchase computers and computer parts..

Hello, kellythomus,

Not familiar with x10hosting, but you may have an issue there for 2 reasons. One, you're using someone's free services to turn a profit.

Two, it sounds like you're going to require a dedicated IP for the SSL required to make the transactions, and those are two things people don't like to give out for free. However, I think you may be able to redirect users to an external site to actually proceed with payment and you could bypass that.

I have heard of http://x10hosting.com , don't know if they are any good tho.
But I have seen them advertising their services in the past.

To answer your question if you can run a shop, yes you can.
They even have Softaculous installed on their servers, which you can use to install your shop with.

I can offer you this as part of the following hosting package:

100MB Webspace
1000MB Bandwidth
No forced adverts
PHP, CGI and SSI
SSL Support
1 x MYSQL Database
Subdomain URL

For further information, please visit http://www.worlditsme.com

Last edited:
Hello, kellythomus,

Not familiar with x10hosting, but you may have an issue there for 2 reasons. One, you're using someone's free services to turn a profit.

Two, it sounds like you're going to require a dedicated IP for the SSL required to make the transactions, and those are two things people don't like to give out for free. However, I think you may be able to redirect users to an external site to actually proceed with payment and you could bypass that.

Sad that you don't know a large name like x10hosting. I've got two sites hosted that are currently making a profit on my servers via free hosting. What's the problem in that? I do not mind.

As for your second statement, the OP never said anything about needed a dedicated IP or SSL. Paypal, as well as a few other payment gateways have their own system which is protected by an encryption. So, there really is no need to buy another SSL or IP.

What do I see from this request?
Someone who is looking to start their own business. They have no initial funds, and want to get some help along the way.

kellythomus, I can offer you the following:
128Mb Disk Space
3Gb Bandwidth
1 Database, FTP account, etc
No ads or posting required
Sign-up here

Have you even sent them a support inquiry? Logical thinking would be to ask them directly, instead of tossing it into a forum where 99% of people would not have a clue on their policies.

I once used X10 a long time ago, maybe as much as three years ago. I eventually left them because they had a fairly aggressive rule of needing to log into their forum every two weeks or so. Even though posting was not required, I don't like those kinds of constant risks of losing your data.

Last time I used 10xhosting, they had Vista Panel, and the speed was very slow, time outs during file upload.
You can find better hosts on this forum for sure.

Kellythomus,

I understand you are a startup, and costs are huge (as always) for startup businesses, but if I can offer you one piece of advice from one businessman to another, $10/mo. for a good paid host is going to be well worth it in the long run. In fact, if you are planning on running a legitimate computer shop, $10 should hands-down be the lowest expense your business ever sees.

I ran a local computer/radio shop back in the mid-90's...actually how I got started in hosting, and if you're worried about $120 a year, you're going to have some serious problems staying in business.

Last edited:
Sad that you don't know a large name like x10hosting. I've got two sites hosted that are currently making a profit on my servers via free hosting. What's the problem in that? I do not mind.

As for your second statement, the OP never said anything about needed a dedicated IP or SSL. Paypal, as well as a few other payment gateways have their own system which is protected by an encryption. So, there really is no need to buy another SSL or IP.

As for my second statement, please read it before commenting on it. I clearly stated he could redirect the payment operations to an external location; Paypal would obviously be one of those locations.

Maybe I'll check x10hosting out sometime, prolly not. I don't know if there is necessarily anything "wrong" with using free services to make profits, but many people would consider it rude or bad practice. If someone is using our services to make money, I believe we should receive at least part of that. We currently do not allow such transactions on our servers, though this may change in the future.

As for my second statement, please read it before commenting on it. I clearly stated he could redirect the payment operations to an external location; Paypal would obviously be one of those locations.

Maybe I'll check x10hosting out sometime, prolly not. I don't know if there is necessarily anything "wrong" with using free services to make profits, but many people would consider it rude or bad practice. If someone is using our services to make money, I believe we should receive at least part of that. We currently do not allow such transactions on our servers, though this may change in the future.

So if one of your clients on free hosting account has ads displayed, he must share the profit with you ?

So if one of your clients on free hosting account has ads displayed, he must share the profit with you ?

I wouldn't use that host then. All I have done in the past is ask if they want paid hosting. If not, then I can't force them. Especially if the site isn't getting that much traffic.

What do I see from this request?
Someone who is looking to start their own business. They have no initial funds, and want to get some help along the way.

kellythomus, I can offer you the following:
128Mb Disk Space
3Gb Bandwidth
1 Database, FTP account, etc
No ads or posting required
Sign-up here

I think another theory issue is emerging here. It goes all the way to the nature of hosting of any kind. "Free" does not mean "Favor". A service is offered in return for as much or as little as the host desires in compensation, all the way from classical Paid to the new economy of Non-Cash Compendsation. Linkbacks, then Post2Host, then fancier hybrids are the full consideration requested from services. There is no ethical obligation of any kind on the part of the client. If the host decides that it is "not fair" to them, then it becomes a rule in TOS, at which, being a rule, is still not an ethical question. Then if this rule is present during the client decision process, it becomes an economics of choice issue.

You can *entice* a customer to go from 1Gig free to 100Gigs for $7 per month or whatever price plan works - Demand Draw, not Trigger-Push.

Meanwhile, examining these offers, I will do a broad suggestion that a computer business will likely churn a lot of data, and that 100-128 megs is not nearly enough. I'm over 300 megs on candidate components of my little page before the actual research files. I bet a well done Comp site will blow through 2 gigs going only 5 clicks deep.

Nope. We have better things to do then hunt down clients and steal their AdCents. However, it is just courtesy to give back a little when your earnings are being made off piggyback.

Back