• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free hosting on a dedicated server

DaDevil

What would have to be the minimal specs for the dedicated server if it was going to be solely used for free hosting accounts without being overly slow or crashing?

All depends on how many websites you plan to host and what type of websites you plan to host.

Well just normal websites, running cpanel, server scripts and stuff that taxes the server too much wont be allowed. What amount would you reccomend for one box?

budget servers are fine. Just make sure it is up to standards for what your control panel needs for it's requirements. Even a crappy server can hold quite a few accounts so long as they are basic sites. Once you start getting into forum/mysql/resource intensive apps then you will need a bit more juice.

for starting out I see no real problem with a low end server, especially for free accounts

Thanks alot Avail, exactly what i needed.

Edit: okay so if cms's, forums, blog software etc was allowed then would a mid range server be needed?

Last edited:
yes I would think so. MySql can be fairly faxing on a server and if it is done in small amounts it would not be too bad on a budget server but in all fairness for your company and users I would look into a small p4 machine if you plan to get into offering databases and what not.

or you could also get a midrange server and considering offering a paid upgrde for databases/sql functions to regain some of your expenses

cPanel alone would take a lot of resources....especially RAM.

I'd say the lowest you can do, is a Pentium 3 / celeron with 512mb of ram, and a decent uplink (10/10mb or better).

Linux without a GUI is a must.

And if course, you wouldn't be able to host many sites. Maybe a dozen or two, depending on just how much the sites are used. Obviously, if 2-3 people use them, then that it's going to put much strain on the resources.

I'd say it depends on the number of "purely active" accounts.

Back