• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Hosting, how do we-

Status
Not open for further replies.

bright-byte

Hi People,
Our company is looking at offering free hosting, without banners just a small text link on each page.

My question is how do we set up a script that will load the small text link on each page of our free hosting customers web site. Or does anyone know of a script that has been made for this purpose.

Thanks in advance :)

:) Hi Soundcheck, it would be just at the top or bottom of the page, centered and would look like this ( This site is hosted by Bright-Byte.com ) that's it just a simple text link.

sounds good, what are you going to offer? and why dont you just make your users add the link themselves? it'll be a lot easier for u :)

Don't get me wrong but we thought of leaving it up to the clients , However there are a few people out there that, even though you are offering them exceptional service and support for free and just want them to put a simple link on their site, will abuse it and not put it on their pages.

And with the expected amount of people that will signup for our free hosting offer, it would be a nightmare to check that they are all putting our link on their pages.

As for our Free Hosting Offer, am I allowed to post it here?

I don't want to go against the forum rules.

Last edited:
Originally posted by bright-byte
Don't get me wrong but we thought of leaving it up to the clients , However there are a few people out there that, even though you are offering them exceptional service and support for free and just want them to put a simple link on their site, will abuse it and not put it on their pages.

And with the expected amount of people that will signup for our free hosting offer, it would be a nightmare to check that they are all putting our link on their pages.

As for our Free Hosting Offer, am I allowed to post it here?

I don't want to go against the forum rules.

DO I get free hosting for giving you the solution ?

LOL
http://www.myidealscript.com/products/webhost_pro.html

WebHost Professional has customizable features that are available at all levels and cascades downward. For example, you can set default header/footer options for all sites , yet you can omit a single site from having headers or footers and leave the others unchanged. User management is as easily configurable. The deeper you delve into WebHost Professional, the more impressed you'll become.

or were you looking for a free script ?

:) Hi ibfw,
Thanks for the suggestion, no we don't care if we have to pay or it's free. We will look into WebHost Professional and compare it with any other scripts people suggest.

And you are more than welcome to free hosting as soon as it is ready ibfw.

:) Thanks Jan I will post our free hosting offer there when we have it ready to go.

This is the reason why so many new free hosts die, jgwy comes in to get new host names and adds the URL to his forum and *poof* the host gets inundated with warez and illegal files and has to close down. It is another reason why more and more hosts will not allow Asian signups. :angry2:

Originally posted by Jan
This is the reason why so many new free hosts die, jgwy comes in to get new host names and adds the URL to his forum and *poof* the host gets inundated with warez and illegal files and has to close down. It is another reason why more and more hosts will not allow Asian signups. :angry2:

Your absolutely right, we are being spammed at the moment from Asia, this is just ridiculous we will have to do the same as you have stated and not except Asian signups.

Whilst this is unfortunate for the Asian people that are genuine, we have been forced into this situation by an unscrupulous person (who ever this jgwy is) who still continues to Spam us.

Is there anything that can be done about this jgwy person?

Blocking www.jgwy.net is good, but please don't block all Asian signups. I mean, yes, I know the statistics show that most Asian traffic is spam, but some of us who do actually have legitimate websites (in English, very surprisingly) have a seriously hard time finding suitable hosting. The best is if you could consider signups on a case-by-case basis, i.e. manually. I know it takes forever and it will cause you much more trouble, but then those who really do need the hosting will be fairly considered, and you have some measure of control who gets the hosting and who doesn't. Usually, those who really need the hosting won't mind waiting for a response.

By the way, www.jgwy.net is a free webspace forum of sorts, much like this one. But the owner is not Singaporean; he's Chinese (from China).

:) Hi jayw,
I understand what you are saying more than you know and also that it is unfair for the legitimate Asian people, however we have been forced to take these steps due to an excessive amount of fraudulent sign-ups from Asia as well as the spam attacks.

To give you an idea we received around 150 sign-ups from Asia in the first hour, compared to around 15 from the rest of the world and it increased from there.

We are already doing the sign-ups manually and the time spent on them is unbelievable and unfortunately due to this we would not be able to further investigate the hugh amount of sign-ups from Asia.

If you or any one else wishes to continue this discussion, I think it would be best if you either emailed us or go to our forum as this is more about our company policies and doesn't concern FreeWebspace.net.

Last edited:
Yup, believe me, I know what you're going through. I've been lurking at these forums long enough to see many web hosts throw up their hands and ban all Asian (and sometimes, Australian too) IPs. I just thought to make an appeal before you ban all Asian IPs. Ah well... Anyway good luck with your hosting. :) It's still good to see people give out free hosting - no matter to whom.

Hi bright-byte,

I am also against banning Asian users. I recommend that you take the following measures:

1. Block all traffic from non-English (whether it's Chinese, Malay, French, or Slavic) free webhosting discussion forums. You can probably figure out the major forums just by viewing your logs. Then, be sure to make a rule on your site stating that sites in any other language besides English will not be tolerated (you are creating this rule not because you actually expect people to follow it but because this simple text will immediately put you in the "right"). :)

2. Secondly, set up a generator that will throw out random tests of English ability, but keep it simple. I am guessing that most of the non-English speakers will fail this test, especially those who rely on a forum where others share the answers to such questions. If they do fail, then you could set a cookie that prevents them from viewing your website again (unless they remove it). Only if they pass the English test can they find the necessary information to apply for an account. :)

I hope you will take my suggestion seriously - or you've just wasted 5 minutes of my life. :p

:) Hi conkermaniac, Whilst I appreciate your suggestions and understand why you would be against blocking Asian users, I really don't wish to get into a discussion that is totally of subject from the original post and which could end up quite messy.

Just to clear the air, we have not banned Asian people just Asian countries and we are an equal opportunities employer and I personally believe that people should be judge individually and on their merits, unfortunately the way the internet works can some times seem unfair to one group of people and in this case it is truly so. We apologize if we have offended anybody as this was not what was intended, however we will be keeping to our policy on this.

So to all other posters please understand, we will not be entering into any more discussions on blocking or banning of any sort and would appreciate any suggestions on scripts that will load a small text link on each page of our free hosting customers web site as this was and is what we originally posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back