• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Host for social network

patronm

Hello

I need a free host to hosty my social networking site.
My site offers the person with a profile the chance to:
  • A free profile
  • Instant Messenger built into the site
  • Video chat
  • Voice chat
  • Record your self and put it straight into profile
  • A desktop software so you can talk to friends with logging into website
  • A really nifty toolbar
  • Will be allowed 2 upload pictuures and galleries
  • Will be able to upload vids and music to their profile

I will need the following requirements:
  • 5gb+
  • C Panle
  • Ftp access
  • Crons job
  • Ability to run executable files (necessary for ffmpeg.exe)
  • Linux/Unix (Red Hat, Debian, FreeBSD, Mandrake, etc.) or Windows OS, Apache Web Server

If anyone could offer all that I required then I wouold love to use your host.

If you interested in my project please offer me reliable hosting and we can make my site a succes.

Thanks

This would require at least a VPS to kick start due to the uploading of Pics, Vids, and Music :D

If you say which script you will be using hosts can make better recommended offers that are able to run it.

Get a cheap dedicated server, or a fairly powerfull VPS.

Dolphin requires a lot of system modifications to even install let alone run and is VERY hungry, even just running the adds on the free version (you know about them right?).

well I it worked fine on the wate4rr seven host but i never checked if te uploading stuff worked

I am young and cant really afford to buy a host so if anyone can give me advice on what to do next then please do

Find a different script is your best bet, Dolphin is not meant for shared hosting at all.

If w7 was running it why are you moving it?

It only worked fine because it wasn't active.
They eat up CPU, think of it like MySpace running on shared hosts ;)
There are better scripts than Dolphin, one of them is: PHPizabi.net and it's free.

I think Boonex's Hosting Partner offers cheap shared hosting for small communities, start off there, put ads, ask for donatios or get a rlj and then when your site is bigger, move onto a VPS, or maybe even a Dedicated :)

Phpzabi

I will take a look at php zabi butt i heard dolpin had more features than php zabi

wat do you guys wich is beter?

I prefer PHPizabi, Dolphins features aren't free (free = limited). You can easily add your own IM system, Chat rooms, video players, music players etc, into PHPizabi. Since it's all free.

so would any1 be able to offer me free hosting with PHPiZabi. plus would anyone be able to innstal it for me.

Maybe someone with a good heart can do it, but just another advice...

If you don't have the money for paid hosting for the site, and you can't install the script, there's a big chance your site will not succeed....

i know but i want to test that see if i can at least get a few members.

ermmm i am so confused i dont know wat to do

Dynash is correct, Dolphins 'features' are not all useable free, most require a license and if Ray is to be used (media handling) it becomes costly. (also recently Boonex have not been getting the best feedback from their clients due to their servers being out and that stopping clients sites from working).

PHPibizabi is a good start although the starting system requirements still really suggest a VPS.

Why not just start up with a forum and as suggested ask for donations or have a paid membership to access 'private' areas of the forums, that can pay for a VPS (keep a running total of donations 'this month' on the front page sometimes helps :wink2:) then run something a bit more featured on the VPS.

If you still want to run Dolphin on the VPS then fine, but you'll need to get a supplier that will set it up to run it as an out of the box VPS will need a couple of hours of modifying to do so.

Plenty of good free forum software available, or CMS (content management system) for that matter, MKPortal comes with a forum built on to it.

If your still confused just ask :)

I dont think hes just after a typical forum tho, but MKPortal running AEF internally isnt bad for a beginner, but id much rather use an external board with it.

Back