• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free File Storage

Neil McRae

What are some good file storage places? I mean places where you can upload ZIP files and link to them from your website. I'm looking for about 50 or 100 MEGs. I'm looking for a place where you can link directly to the file itself, I mean if a user clicks on the file while visiting your site it will automatically confirm your download and stay on your site and not go to a page on the storage place's site. For example, you link to a file on FilePlanet from your site then someone clicks on your file to download it and it goes to a page on FilePlanet then confirms your download and not staying right on the same page you clicked on the file.

You could do this with Yahoo! Briefcase. But they only give you 25 megs. You might be able to sign up for more than one account if it's allowed.

Re:

But which place is the best if I want to link directly to my files from my site? Again, I mean when someone clicks on a download from my site then the broswer's download window pops up and stays on my site/page. I don't want a place (like FilePlanet for example) that goes to a page on their site when you click on the download then starts the download window. I'm looking for a place that stays on my site while downloading. Is there a File Storage place like that with lots of space?

A lot of webproviders have more than 50 megs, why can't you have them on your site? Is this for warez?

Tripod intercepts links to certain types of files (such as files with the .zip extension) and presents a download page.

Or so it did the last I checked.

Re:

----------------------------
quote:
May I answer again. Yahoo Briefcase. Okay?

I think I need more than 25 MEGs.

quote:
A lot of webproviders have more than 50 megs, why can't you have them on your site? Is this for warez?

A lot of web providers don't support ZIP file upload, or there are ones like FortuneCity for example that only upload certain types of ZIP files for some reason. BTW, this is not for warez.
Also, a lot of 50 MEG providers I found put ads on your pages.

quote:
Tripod intercepts links to certain types of files (such as files with the .zip extension) and presents a download page.

That's exactly what I mean.

close-up quote:
presents a download page

Again, I'm looking for a place where the browser stays on my site and doesn't present a new page when the browser's download window pops up. Is Yahoo Briefcase like that (stays on my page when the download window pops up), again I think I want more than 25 MEGs? BTW, does Tripod support ALL types of ZIP files?

Re: Re:

Originally posted by Neil McRae
Again, I'm looking for a place where the browser stays on my site and doesn't present a new page when the browser's download window pops up. Is Yahoo Briefcase like that (stays on my page when the download window pops up), again I think I want more than 25 MEGs? BTW, does Tripod support ALL types of ZIP files?
Yahoo Briefcase does that. But it only allows 25 megs. If signing up for more than one account is allowed. You could have 50, 75, or even 100 megs at your disposal!

Also there's only one type of zip file...

Re:

You mean you can link directly to your files with Yahoo Briefcase instead of going to another page when you click on the download link from your site? If yes, what other free file storage services do this besides Yahoo Briefcase?

BTW, what do you mean there is only one type of ZIP file? I am planning to get a file storage place so I can link to ZIP files from my site. These ZIP files will contain things like my games.

Re: Re:

You mean you can link directly to your files with Yahoo Briefcase instead of going to another page when you click on the download link from your site?[/B]
I think that's what Coolin has been trying to say all along...

A .zip file is a .zip file, dude. There's only one type (unless you count the .exe self-extracting files).

Maybe you were reffering to RAR compression files?

Re:

But instead of creating four accounts with Yahoo Breifcase, are there any 100 MB File Storage places that let you link directly to the files?

Oh BTW, I guess I won't just be storing ZIP and EXE files at this File Storage place. I might also be storing some picture files there now so I can link to them externaly, link to them from EZboard for example.

[Edited by Neil McRae on 04-28-2001 at 02:06 PM]

Watch out for Yahoo briefcase while you may be able to link directly to the file it limits how many people can download from it. I am often very frustrated with this feature and usually don't ever go back the the site if it uses Yahoo briefcase to store files. Also idrive pulls the same game

Re: Re: Re:

Originally posted by LeX
You mean you can link directly to your files with Yahoo Briefcase instead of going to another page when you click on the download link from your site?
I think that's what Coolin has been trying to say all along...[/B]
Thanks for clearing it all up! ;)

Re:

------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Watch out for Yahoo briefcase while you may be able to link directly to the file it limits how many people can download from it. I am often very frustrated with this feature and usually don't ever go back the the site if it uses Yahoo briefcase to store files. Also idrive pulls the same game
------------------------------------------------------------

You mean you can also link directly to files (link directly to files from your site) with idrive? BTW, what's this disadvantage about Yahoo Briefcase? What do you mean it limits how many people can download my files?

like in a one day period only like 20 people can dl your files. (that is what he means i am not sure if it is true)

Here's the scope

Is it just me or is this whole forum's confused. First of all, the best storage space is i-drive (to bad it's gone to like myspace) it allows you to freely send their files to your i-drive account and no download limits.

Yahoo briefcase has a download limit. 30mb of space now. Limit of 5mb per file, and sometimes checks what kind of stuff you put in it. Also, download limit is like myspace, unpredictable. There's some good downloader for yahoo briefcase. Like yahoo leech (don't have), yahoohack (doesn't really work), and yahoomage (also does nothing for me).

Here's the place for yahoo mage:

http://www.geocities.com/arcainicrom/yahoo06.zip (and it's my own site too.)

The best place to put your files is on websites, geocities, and other stuff that doesn't check IP addresses. Don't take anything that's like prohosting sites, they deleted all my anime!!!!!!! Fansub (in other words legal public distribution episodes) and deleted everything. So my hint is to break up files into .ace or .rar and put them up on websites.

Attachments

• picdbz8.jpg
    picdbz8.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 65
Re:

As of today, i-drive will no longer accept new customers and they will delete all their current accounts. MySpace has now changed into some hit counter service called HitBox. I tried Yahoo Briefcase, but when I click on a ZIP file download from my site I get a message that says "You must supply a local referer to get URL -(download URL here)- from this server" whatever that means. What does it mean, I wonder? What do I have to do? If I can't fix this, what is a free web host with lots of space that allows all types of ZIP files and allows you to link to them externally? I don't care if this host has ads. The only free web host I know that's like this is Crosswinds, but they deleted (or lost rather) all my files during one of their big upgrades. I will also link to my ZIP files from the site I store them on, but I mean a host not like FortuneCity that loads one of their images instaead of giving you your download when you link to them externaly. Is there a host like this?

Back