• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free DNS

Ray

I tried centrolinfo.net as free DNS , but they only offer 20 subdomains.

Is there any free DNS providers offering more subdomains?

If you are pointing all the subdomains to one (or less then 20 IPs) centralinfo accepts wildcards. Thus, you can do something like:

*.yourdomain.com IN CNAME yourdomain.com

and that will work for an infinite number of subdomains. If you need to point to different IPs, there are two other services that I know of. One is so bad that I wont mention it, the other is found at http://soa.granitecanyon.com. There system is bit more involved, meaning you really have to know what you are doing. I've used them before and they seem ok, but centralinfo.net is way better if you can figure out how to use less than 20 calls...

Earlier this year, it was mentioned that Granite Canyon was experiencing a lot of downtime. I haven't heard anything lately, but it might be wise to investigate before becoming dependent on their services.

Yeah they were...and thats why I switched to centralinfo.net. In general, their service is really crappy and really complicated. They also delete accounts with some random algorithm scheme that I dont know of...very wierd. They are usually down 2 to 3 times a month for perhaps a day or so...

But they are the 'only' alternative to centralinfo.net. So, take this advice as you will....

I cannot setup sutdomain at mydomain.com
They are good that offering catch-all-email.

I really dont know if they have a max, or what it is if they do. I have never used them so I dont know what their history is on uptimes and so forth. Although from the looks of things, if you cant work with centralinfo...this is the next best thing. GraniteCanyon 'will' fail on you so I think this is it.

Again, what do you need all those subdomains for. If you are starting a subdomain forwarding service, then you will only need about 1 or 2 entries (with wildcards). The only reason that you would need that many subdomains if they are all pointing to different IPs...are you a network admin with a lot of machines?

Anyway, hope this info helps :)

I have been testing the mydomain.com domain servers for the last 2 days and i never could find them reachable :(

If you cant find a free one to use, and you have to go through a paid one, the best one is definately easydns.com. Maybe you should give them a once over just to see what they offer...

Re: One more...!

Originally posted by cds
Oh, I just thought of another one:
http://www.mydomain.com

I haven't used them so I dont know if they are good or not, but they are on my bookmark list so they cant be all that bad :)

Sorry to jump up topics a little... Regarding reliability:

I have been using mydomain for subdomains and they work fine but are down now and then.... (6-7 hours a few days ago). Because of this, I'm moving some stuff to Central Info.

You also might check out Bn3.com. I don't know about any limits on subdomains with them.

Originally posted by Semiel
easydns.com:
"DNS Service is priced at $24.95 USD per domain, per year"

Yuk... Per domain? :(

You get what you pay for...its definately not for the casual web developer...

I merely brought it up since Ray cant use centralinfo, and I would personally not use any service that is unreliable, such as mydomain.

BN3 has a history of jipping its customers by changing their services, who knows how they will treat the subdomains...

Bn3 offer unlimited sub-domains today, I think. I don't use bn3 because of limited 20 emails.

I just tried mydomain and see they offer more interesting options (e.g subdomain redirect) than centralinfo but not sure how often their server went down.

Originally posted by cds
BN3 has a history of jipping its customers by changing their services, who knows how they will treat the subdomains...

I meant, who knows how they will treat them in the future. At one point in time BN3 offered unlimited emails...now they are at 20... Then they went into some paid support business...

Anyway, I would tend to stick with centralinfo as much as possible...and if you obsolutely cannot use them, then mydomain.com is the other way to go...

Another one to try is:
http://dnscenter.turbosport.com/

I have no idea if they work, are fast, or are reliable...Im just throwing the url down for completeness...

I've seen everybody mention turbosport.com for a long time. But I don't use them because they are more on and off than bn3. The site admin once reply my email.

"I wish we could open all accounts, but since I am still a high school student this isn't possible".

I'm not sure whether they only offer 3 sub-domains.
http://dnscenter.turbosport.com/modifydns.htm

Figures, when I was looking at the free webmail hosting offering, everytime I clicked to signup it would take me back to THEIR free webemail offering...

Anyway, ok, I guess you just have to add this to the dumb service host list...hehe :)

Back