• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free CDN

AboutWeb

Any of you offer Free CDN Hosting ? CDN means Content Delivery Network and is used to serve cached content to the user. This content is served based on geo location of the user.
I know most hosting companies offer only paid CDN, but my site is not big and I don't require so big bandwith like those 500 GB paid services. I am very new to CDN and want to test things out, to see how it would improve speed.
My images that I want to host with CDN are very small, 2-3 CSS files and few java script files.
(I tried coralcdn.org free cdn and is slowing my site down instead of speeding up)

Same result for me using coralcdn.org. :) lol

Try CloudFlare.com.
I used their service and I was very happy except for few issues which made my website go down! :p
But I think it won't happen for you though.

I don't like to change my name servers to cloudflare...and I've seen that in one day in my CNAMES is one IP, a week later, is another IP from the same B class.

CloudFlare

Quick note: I won't spam the forums.

"I don't like to change my name servers to cloudflare"

I just wanted to highlight that this isn't required if you're activating via a hosting partner that has cpanel integration (HostGator, VexxHost).

Hi esupun,

What issues did you have?

I just wanted to highlight that this isn't required if you're activating via a hosting partner that has cpanel integration (HostGator, VexxHost).

Hi esupun,

I don't really understand what you want to say, speak loud and clear. My hosting provider does have cPanel. How do I find if it's partner ?

I don't really understand what you want to say, speak loud and clear. My hosting provider does have cPanel. How do I find if it's partner ?

He's saying that if your Web host is partnered with his service, you don't have to change your nameservers to those of Cloudflare. And you can find out by asking your host. ;)

Hi esupun,

Cloudflare showed me that my server is down while it was functioning properly. That's the only issue I faced.

Therefore I had to change my nameservers back since my clients would not happy if the main website is down. :) lol

As I see this CloudFare is free service but not a good solution. Nobody offers CDN here ?

Don't decide only by my experience. :)
It might only me or the issue was on my end.

Cloudflare is a good service of course. I am still recommending it to everyone who wants to boost their website performance.
It have some minor issues still. But hopefully they'll fix it soon.

I advice you to use it before taking a decision just because of my experience.

@eSupun
I also found the same issue like urs when using cloudflare.
Usually when it shows the site is down, is during the time their servers fetch the latest updates from ur website.
but unfortunately, they purposely lock it down and says the site is down while doing the fetching.
1 of my website(personal blog) uptime was droped from 98% to 75% due to using cloudflare.

but anyway, it is still good for some other purpose, such as masking the website IP to avoid DDoS strike directly to your own server.
:)

Downtime of a website is bad for SEO. If search engine can't reach your site, it will lose positions on SERP.

I wonder how well of a DDoS filter it is. (I'm trying it on a site which is getting DDoSed right now)

actually it is not really a ddos filter.
coz the way cloudflare proxify the website, is by using their own servers as the proxy, then only transmit our website to the visitor's browser.
So when people try to ping our domain which is using cloudflare, the IP they see is actually cloudflare's IP.

If anyone try to ddos your website, the attack is actually hit to cloudflare servers.
therefore, it can be consider as we hide our own IP under cloudflare and let cloudflare get strike by the ddos instead of our own server.

Can you share your results after its complete? I would be interested in seeing this.

The DDOS attack was stopped after the datacenter had nullrouted the IP.
At the time period, I didn't saw the website is running.

Anyway, let's wait for dmm's review since I didn't monitored his site all the time because I had my own website to handle. :D lol

actually it is not really a ddos filter.
coz the way cloudflare proxify the website, is by using their own servers as the proxy, then only transmit our website to the visitor's browser.
So when people try to ping our domain which is using cloudflare, the IP they see is actually cloudflare's IP.

If anyone try to ddos your website, the attack is actually hit to cloudflare servers.
therefore, it can be consider as we hide our own IP under cloudflare and let cloudflare get strike by the ddos instead of our own server.

From http://support.cloudflare.com/kb/ho...an-cloudflare-protect-me-against-ddos-attacks :

While CloudFlare is not a pure DDoS solution for websites, CloudFlare does offer an additional layer of protection that should help mitigate the DDoS attack.

Back