• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

free ASP+PHP host

Abush

DP MAC SC UC...
NLC
Hi, I was wondering if there was a host with these requirments

20mb space
1gb bandwidth
Asp
Php
MySQL
No banner or popup.
FTP
phpMyadmin

More is better

I need it for developing scripts and for learning how to install different kinds of done scripts.
:classic2:

if all you want to do is develop/test scripts I'd suggest installing a server on your own computer. It's a lot easier and it's considerate towards the host since if your script messes something up noone else will be affected by it.

I don't really get why no ads and 1Gb transfer is needed for just testing and developping :confused2

I don't really get why no ads and 1Gb transfer is needed for just testing and developping

well careBear I don't really like ads and I don't know how much bandwidth I'll use that's why I said 1gb.

I think I will only need about 500mb of transfer.

and about installing a server on my computer I am currently using my dad's computer and will be using it for the next year or more and I was thinking about that.

HERE are the questions I have.

1. Can I install a server on a compaq box with Windows 98 OS. I have XP partitioned on the D:\ drive and I only have 200 mb of space left on D:\

2. If I can install a server on both of them which one will be better (which one will have less hassle and trouble)

3. I have a dialup connection would that affect anything.

4. What kind of server should I install.

5. Is all this better than just getting a free host to practice. (I don't think any of the scripts will mess the server up in any way).

thanx

:D

Originally posted by abush
1. Can I install a server on a compaq box with Windows 98 OS. I have XP partitioned on the D:\ drive and I only have 200 mb of space left on D:\
Neither IIS or Apache/PHP/MySQL take up that much space and you're free to install the latter onto your c:\ drive as well.

2. If I can install a server on both of them which one will be better (which one will have less hassle and trouble)
I'd say install it on XP.. Win98 tends to crash too easily to be a development enviorment.

3. I have a dialup connection would that affect anything.
No, since I'm assuming you just want to test things out yourself and not give others a link to the site?

4. What kind of server should I install.
If it's XP Pro then you can install IIS (it's included on the cd) or otherwise I'd suggest Apache.

5. Is all this better than just getting a free host to practice. (I don't think any of the scripts will mess the server up in any way).
It depends.. I wouldn't last 5 minutes if I had to open an FTP session and upload changed files each time I add something.
If it's just installing other people's script it might be too much hassle but to make your own I'd definitly consider testing them on a local server (PHP doesn't get you much but with ASP there's definitly a lot of advantages).
IIS should be straightforward to configure the first time, where Apache can be a real pain unless you happen to enjoy looking through text config files looking for that one setting.

Related.. I don't think you'll find too many free hosts that have PHP, ASP and MySQL all in one. They tend to be linux servers and ASP just doesn't emulate well on anything but IIS (Sun has a decent ASP but it doesn't come free and Perl ASP is just rubbish, it's perl with ASP syntax, it won't run any kind of ASP script) so I think it would be best to either abandon either ASP or PHP, or to get an account on two seperate hosts. One that offers PHP and one Windows account with ASP.

Originally posted by CareBear
I don't really get why no ads and 1Gb transfer is needed for just testing and developping :confused2 [/B]

I once had a yabbse forum, and I went one day testing, tweaking templating it.. turned out I used around 100mb that day...

k thanx I'll be back if I have some problems.:D

One more question would IIS support PHP and would it have a database or do I need to get the extra software from somewhere else?

k thanx I'll be back if I have some problems.:D

One more question would IIS support PHP and would it have a database or do I need to get the extra software from somewhere else?
you'll need to go to www.php.net and download one of the two packages there and then look through the readme file. I have Apache installed for PHP but I know there are instructions in the install readme.

IIS is just a webserver, it doesn't handle databases. If you want databases you could install either MySQL onto the same computer or a rundown free version of SQL Server (don't have the link for that right now and I'm too lazy to go and search MS' site but let me know if you need it)

(Edit: here's a tutorial for getting PHP to work under IIS - http://www.phpbuddy.com/sub_articles.php?other_articles=4 )

Last edited:
how do I start IIS???????????
it should be started right after your WinXP has finished loading.
The control panel is under: Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Internet Services Manager

Back