• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forum for My Website

- Dan

Hello all,

I need your guys opinion and more information. Let say I am noobs.

I heard Vbulletin is the best forum, but I think need to pay for license in order to download the forum and use their software.
Second is IPB, is good as well but same need to pay for license to use it.
third, PHPBB I heard it's okay and it's free.
forth, PUNBB I see some site use it, but never use it so dunno how it's looks like.

I just wonder, is that true for vbulletin and IPB that we need to have license to download and use the software(forum)

anyone have any other idea about good forum that I can use. Since I just start do some research to find a good forum software.

Thanks.

vanidium said:
I just wonder, is that true for vbulletin and IPB that we need to have license to download and use the software(forum)
Yes, it is true that you need to purchase a license to use vBulletin and IPB.

vBulletin Pricing: http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

IPB Pricing: http://www.invisionboard.com/act.ips/download

vanidium said:
anyone have any other idea about good forum that I can use. Since I just start do some research to find a good forum software.
Yes, check out MercuryBoard and SMF. Both of these are free. :)

Although, if you happen have the files for IPB 1.3 free on your PC from a while ago, you dont need a liscense for them (although downloading it is illegal)

You do need a license for VBulletin and IPB. I use a phpbb myself. I would rather have VBulletin but I am most satisified with the other for now. It offers what I want for the most part.

The MercuryBoard is very good , with languages , and styles . But , I Have Problem>
The database connection was ok, but settings.php could not be updated.

CHMOD settings.php to 777.

I myself hate PhpBB, but that is just me.
For my site I use SMF. I think it is one of the best. I also know a ew places that use PunBB. One site is Synclinalllun. I have used Mercury Board before but wasn't impressed.

I have never been a big fan of phpBB either. I am a IPB guy myself. Never tried MercBoard maybe I will give that a shot one day.

I find phpBB is perfectly good for what it needs to do - a significantly larger community than any of the other forum systems, so there's an abundance of mods and skins.

In my experience, SMF is lacking in many alternative skins.

phpBB is the best free board, if you have the right mods on it. If you have the funds, shoot for vBulletin. It is great software.

phpBB is very bad with security, its got to the point they dont even put the version on the footer, it has v. bad security.

Use it at your own risk.

My issue with mybb is that, I'm lazy, and there is not currently a whole lot of downloadable skins for it...at least not very much that I've been made aware of.

I don't run a design site by any means, so I'm not about to go ahead and design my own theme.

Back