• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forum database crash. Something got screwed [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
rats, I got quite a few these last days.
I think we all know why, but by saying what it is, we defeat the whole purpose of it.

I sincerely apologize for this issue. We had a pretty major crash / set back. Things got complicated when the prior days backup was overwritten with corrupt data.

We then restored another SQL dump file that was a bit older. We've had a replacement server running in the datacenter for some time now, but we've been fixing small issues before we moved it over. I think Peo has checked it our pretty thoroughly now, and we'll be moving FreeWebspace.net over this weekend.

Again my apologies. I think we'll all be much happier once we get everything moved over to a faster and more reliable server.

Yes, it was purely a technical issue. Hopefully things can resume now without too much confusion. Also just be aware that this weekend the server will be slow at times as we re-sync the content, import the databases to MySQL 5, and fix issues as they come up. Sorry again guys, I hate missing data as much as the next guy.

Although far to drastic your point is well taken, and we've been aware of the issues for a while. That's why we have the new server in place. We just took that as an opportunity to upgrade to some newer versions of software, which broke some custom code. We went back and forth with issues for a while, but we've worked out most of the bugs now. I should also note that the network has been fine throughout these incidents so things will be greatly improved with the new server. Just bear with us for another few days, and you should see a significant improvement.

DB crash or something?

Has anyone else around here noticed that all the
posts and private messages for the past 2 days
have dissapeared from freewebspace.net?

What happened?

Did you all have a database crash or something?

I posted a similiar thread in one of the other forum areas just a little while ago ...

All of the sudden the private messages I read 2 days ago were back to unread again!

All the posts and threads for the past 2 days are gone ....

I guess FWS had a database crash or something and restored a backup.

EDIT: Oh wierd, someone merged my other thread into this one

Todd said:
I sincerely apologize for this issue. We had a pretty major crash / set back. Things got complicated when the prior days backup was overwritten with corrupt data.

We then restored another SQL dump file that was a bit older. We've had a replacement server running in the datacenter for some time now, but we've been fixing small issues before we moved it over. I think Peo has checked it our pretty thoroughly now, and we'll be moving FreeWebspace.net over this weekend.

Again my apologies. I think we'll all be much happier once we get everything moved over to a faster and more reliable server.

Are you sure dude its not a coverup about the hotweelz thread, cause its pretty strange that there are replies that were posted on April 4th that still exists and i think he posted that thread like on april 3rd or on 4th and last reply was on april 5th by peo. So why did the threads dissappear and not the replies? Cause if am correct a db crash and restoration of say 3rd april (3 days old) db would not show april 4ths replies cause at that day 4th had not even arrived yet.

So do you have any proof of this so called "db crash "?

And wait a minute i remember i uploaded this new avatar of mine only yesterday, so if it was really a crash as said why is my avatar still intact? Any Explaination about this?

Last edited:
I highly doubt they would revert the forum back 3 or 4 days just to get rid of a thread that got a bit heated.

Exactly, easier to toss it :S Please don't insult Todd and Peo for all the work they have put into getting the place working better. Peo has another forum *somewhere* that has also lost data.

Whats going on?

Hey

I been gone for 12 hours & I have lost 40+ posts & half of the threads from yesterday have gone. Can someone explain?. I know this should be in feedback but I feel theres more to this?. :confused4 also my sig has changed?.

We apologize for the server crash and the lost data for the last few days. This effected the whole server and by that several other of my sites. Obviously we wouldn't delibererately crash the server as Todd has already explained. I lost a lot of work I did over the last couple of days for these sites and everybody lost a lot of posts, pms etc. It's very frustrating but in the end it was sadly the only solution to get everything working again.

If you signed up for the forum over the last few days, you would have to sign up again. All data is lost for this period.

We've been having problems with the database for a couple of weeks now as you all know and we'll be moving to a new server to avoid future problems.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back