• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

For the sake of curiosity...

cds

Im not taking sides either way, but im interested in your oppinions...

If you had a choice between:

A) A new or small FWP that offers a lot of features and no ads, but can be slow, and there is a fair chance of it dying...

or

B) An established FWP (hypermart, etc) that 'will' have banner ads, and perhaps less features, but is generally fast, and pretty much assured to never die...

Which one would you pick. Now, obviously there are very notable exceptions to the poor generalizations I made :))), but for the interest of curiosity...which would you pick?

It really depends on what you are looking for.
Some people would go for a slow host with no ads, instead of a fast host with ads.

Personally I believe choice B would be a good way to go.
Reason: they last longer and usually upgrade their servers before 'no ads' host, because they have revenue coming in all the time (in most cases).

Choice C is always the best way to go, PAID HOSTING. :)

We've all done A and they never fail to let us down (RedRival, F2s, Crosswinds and the list goes on). B is a good choice and they are offering more every day. As with the previous post... paid is the way to go and the prices are getting so low that they are almost free.

There is a big demand for hosting, which creates more competition for other companies, meaning lowering prices.
I still believe that bigger boys will buy out all the small co., and rule the hill. And you can actually see it happening live, if you are keeping up with the news. :)

True, but then again there are literally 1000's of webhosts out there. If someone want to get into an internet business and cant think of anything to do, they start a webhost...

Anyway, I think even the big webhosts will continue to drive down their prices. I think $5-$12 will be the norm for basic 10mb accounts on big webhosts soon...

I HAVE A IDEA . GET A PAID HOST

FREE IS ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING ATTACH TO IT . WHETHER IT'S SLOW OR BANNERS . SO I GOT A TIP 4 U . GET A PAID HOST AND STOP SPENDING SO MUCH TIME IN THIS FORUM .

Re: I HAVE A IDEA . GET A PAID HOST

Originally posted by surfdemonss
FREE IS ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING ATTACH TO IT . WHETHER IT'S SLOW OR BANNERS . SO I GOT A TIP 4 U . GET A PAID HOST AND STOP SPENDING SO MUCH TIME IN THIS FORUM .
Eh, Mr. I think you have your capslock switched on

Originally posted by cds

Anyway, I think even the big webhosts will continue to drive down their prices. I think $5-$12 will be the norm for basic 10mb accounts on big webhosts soon...

I would have to disagree on that one.

Let's take Verio for example. They are the worlds biggest web hosting co., and their prices start @ $24.95.
They activate new accounts every 90 seconds, which makes it quite impossible for small hosts to compete with them. They also buy out web hosting companies that host from 4,000 domains and up.

Can you imagine any host to compete with this giant?

I think the key to my statement was "in a few years". Just look at long distance nowadays... they killed all the smaller companies but the rates keep going down...its the usual trend of popular businesses....

It all comes down to what you need. If you are just gonna have a small personal site and are just getting familiar with developing websites, then use one of the big boys, they may not offer all the bells and whistles, but they are also the ones least likely to confuse you.

When you've found your way around, and want to experiment with more 'complex' features like perl, php, databases, ... and stability isn't too much of a concern since nothing advanced will come out of your efforts, then go for the small, loaded freehosts.

From the moment you intend to make a $ with a website, go commercial. FWP, no matter how reliable, fast or loaded can compete with a serious pay host (emphasis on serious).

just my 2c.

You know what Jvv...I totally agree with you. small FWP are pains, so for starters give yourself a break and use a bigger service. But few big FWP will offer say PHP or mySQL or coldfusion, etc... so for "playing around with code" these small guys are great. But dont think you can host your site with them for more than three months...hehe :)

Back