• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

For people who are here from Australia (part 2!)

Conscript

NLC
NLC
Hey everyone.

Several weeks ago I posted a thread directed at people from Australia as I was considering going to school there.

Well, I have a quick update on that. I got accepted into the following Universities:

1. Macquarie University
2. University of Western Sydney
3. Newcastle University

(Still waiting on University of Sydney)

My general area of study is business and I am applying for graduate degrees (I already have an undergrad degree in business management from a local university here in Chicago).

I am guessing from what online research I did that Macquarie is probably the better one of the above (at least out of those I got offers from already).

Now I have a few more questions as I weigh my options.

About the education

What do you guys think of Macquarie University? What do business people/employers think of it?

It is located in North Ryde, about 16km from Sydney CBD. I hear that's a good area?

Also, how do you guys feel about a Master of Commerce in Marketing degree? How prestigious/desirable/marketable/etc. is it? How would you compare it to an MBA?

About Australia in general

I read online that there are snakes in Sydney, some of them venomous? I hope that's a vastly exaggerated threat as I have a fear of animals that are out to get me. I have horrible luck with animals so if there is any chance I could be hurt by one it will probably happen to me.

Also, what is the insect situation like? Like are there lots of little flies and bugs and what not? I hear that it gets pretty bad out there.

Is public transportation safe at night in the area of the school (North Ryde)? Like if I were to go somewhere and return home around midnight or so.

Lastly, how hard is it to find some sort of temporary job (I will probably want to work at least during the longer breaks)?

That's all I could think of for now.

Feel free to ask me some questions too. I really want to get a good feel of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks!

Hey,
What do you guys think of Macquarie University? What do business people/employers think of it?
It is located in North Ryde, about 16km from Sydney CBD. I hear that's a good area?
MacU is great, so I hear. It's pretty easy to get to aswell, and will be even easier once the train line is compete (late this year; the built it with inclines too deep for most of the trains :p). As a bonus tho, if you are near epping there's a train to that station every hour of the day (except 3am)
Also, how do you guys feel about a Master of Commerce in Marketing degree? How prestigious/desirable/marketable/etc. is it? How would you compare it to an MBA?

No idea

I read online that there are snakes in Sydney, some of them venomous? I hope that's a vastly exaggerated threat as I have a fear of animals that are out to get me. I have horrible luck with animals so if there is any chance I could be hurt by one it will probably happen to me.

I've seen 6 snakes in Sydney. 5 were in a zoo, 1 was in the bush. There's no snakes roaming the streets or anything. Watch out for those drop bears tho.

Also, what is the insect situation like? Like are there lots of little flies and bugs and what not? I hear that it gets pretty bad out there.

Mozzies can be bad in some areas (mosquitos). Flies can get bad in summer. But its bearable.

Is public transportation safe at night in the area of the school (North Ryde)? Like if I were to go somewhere and return home around midnight or so.

Public Transport is perfectly safe round that area. Just be sensible and don't wave wads of cash around. I've been on trains past midnight, and never seen any violence.

Lastly, how hard is it to find some sort of temporary job (I will probably want to work at least during the longer breaks)?
Pretty easy if you want a monkey job.

Any more questions? I like these.

If I can handle daily drive by shootings in Chicago I think I can live with drop bears. ;)

It sounds like Sydney is a magical place and I think I will like it. From what I read on the temperatures it will be a great improvement over Chicago weather, which can be either scorching hot summer or Russian Winter on any given day.

What else would you want me to know before going over there? Or what else do you think I SHOULD know before going over there?

If I can handle daily drive by shootings in Chicago I think I can live with drop bears. ;)

It sounds like Sydney is a magical place and I think I will like it. From what I read on the temperatures it will be a great improvement over Chicago weather, which can be either scorching hot summer or Russian Winter on any given day.

What else would you want me to know before going over there? Or what else do you think I SHOULD know before going over there?

Eat the licorice.

I'm serious.

It's amazing.

Yeah, the weathers pretty good. Rain happens during storms - or weeks at at time. Temp wise its pretty sweet too (lowest average is 44f/7c degrees, and the highest temp for the summer just past was only 87f/31c.

Sydney amazes me weeky.. I'm forever finding new venues/areas/people with my job. Its just a pity a few middle eastern folk like to sour the city. Bring a full variety of clothes, try to convince everyone you are infact from Canada and you'll be sweet. (PS: Drinking age is 18.)

Haha, whats with the whole pretend you're from Canada thing? I don't feel comfortable going to a place that has high anti-American sentiment or where I will be harassed just cause I voted for Bush (I find our top marginal federal income tax rate of 34% absolutely outrageous! But that's a discussion for another time and another thread)). This eliminates most of the world from my to-visit list, but I was really hoping Australia was friendlier than that.

45 degree lows are not too bad at all as we've been having weather in the 20s for the last several months here in Chicago. I can probably get away with just bringing a regular jacket and not my big heavy winter coat. Speaking of clothes, what kind of fashion do people wear there? I don't want to look like a tourist the whole time I'm there so I'd like to pack things that won't make me look out of place.

BTW, what are the laws locally over there on running a little side business? Like if I wanted to do some freelance computer tutoring/training, repair, etc. Would something like this be feasible on a shoe string budgets or would I be running into a lot of red tape from the authorities to the point where I shouldn't even bother?

Na the american thing isn't that bad, don't stress.

If you want to run a little business, as a sole trader - you need an ABN and a TFN... which I don't think you can get on a tourist visa.

American snakes are harmless? :p

You are more likely to get shot in America than run into a snake in Aus :D

LOL yeah America has some horrible snakes too, just not where I live. Those are mostly in the Southwest (Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc.) and of course there are many crocodiles and such in Florida.

I think Australia is sounding nice. Everyone here is telling me to go for the experience except my parents who are totally not digging the idea.

I will probably arrive at my final decision within a month. It depends on whether or not I get into a school I applied to in another state (www.actonmba.org).

I looked into the local schools here as well and it looks like I will be spending $40,000 USD no matter where I go, including the decent public university we have in Chicago (UIC), so I guess might as well go overseas. The only exception is the school I went to for undergrad, which isn't nearly as well respected as the other choices so I am probably better off not going at all if that was to be my choice.

I think it is a wise choice to go to Australia. It is beautiful (I saw it on Discovery Channel!). My plans are to go there one day and relax for a few weeks. From what I saw though, I will not be swimming anywhere there. (Or maybe I was brainwashed by seeing all those killer Jellyfish).

The jellyfish aren't everywhere. Here where I am, you can't swim in the sea in the wet season. But most beaches in the southern states are fine.

bondi3_470x350.jpg

Back