• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fix your damn spelling!!

Johnson

i love c&y
NLC
I am so tired of seeing people with hacked spelling.....especially when they try to come out smart.

How hard is it really to spell it "you" instead of "u"? I know adding an astounding TWO extra letters to a word is a real b.itch, but just do it.

If you have a hard time, I think the google toolbar has a spell checker.

One example would be:

Which add network/s shood i join?

Hi.

So i've finally got around to making some kinda site, and i was wondering about adds.
People seem to use google adds the most, but i was just wondering which company pays the most?
I don't really mind what kinda advertising, i heard that popups bring in quite a bit of cash, but anything really.
Plz bair in mind that i am in the uk.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Man, welcome to LIFE. The people typing that way online are the same people who speak like morons in the real world. You know, the kind of people that seemingly disprove the Darwin theory on an hourly basis.

Seriously, there's these people at my school that actually say "pawn" "own" "noob" and "lol" (they actually speak the letters). If that wasn't enough, they actually believe that a wizard created the universe, because that's what they saw on a video game....

Unfortunantly...................................................no.

Does it seem like the longer a member is here, the "better" they talk?

Just because you use abbreviations, such as u, doesn't mean they aren't smart. It's just what we all are use to. It is used so often, that it is becoming like a native language to us. Doesn't mean the person is completly stupid in real person. I talk like that on IM to my friends. Of Course, when I am doing anything business related, I present myself in a more presentable manner, but I still use that "lingo".

Because the lingo is just internet lingo. It's what it is. I mean I don't type that bad, Im not like "err ya u k mhm so wat r u doing idk wbu" but I don't always type properly.

It takes maybe an extra .5 seconds to type that extra letter or two. People use "internet slang" or "l33t sp34k" just because they're lazy and/or want to portray themselves as uneducated 10 year olds.

kk u lolz i liek typinz liek this u no i mean y go on teh intern3t at allz if ur nut gunna typ liek this.

or sometimes there just isn't any time to write out everything.

also encouraging abbreviations are sms/text messages. while terrible, shorthand does have its advantages: note-taking in classes, and speed. as long as it's not used in professional papers and academic works i'm okay with it. the purpos of langauge is not to be 100% correct and a machine...the purpose of language is to convey a message. if a message is conveyed, mission accomplished.

that said, i have more of a problem with peopel who write long, convoluted, verbose papers, paragraphs, or sentences....i.e., kant, hawthorne...although the grammar and spelling would be correct, and the figurative language sometimes beautiful, i prefer something straight-forward which gets to the point and conveys the message

oh...and friends of mine in school do speak l33tsp33k outloud (rofl, pwned, ownage) ... we have no problem with it, neither does anyone. it's just slang and innocent entertainment. the only difference between that slang and any other is it originated on the internet/video games. (and really, what's the problem with it? it still conveys a message.)

(by the way...'kinda' is slang. i'm not sure how incorrect its usage can be. colloquially, it's right.)

sometimes there just isn't any time to write out everything.

Seriously....how long does it take to press one or two buttons?

or "l33t sp34k" just because they're lazy and/or want to portray themselves as uneducated 10 year olds.

L33t speak takes longer than normal people talk.

stabme said:
the purpose of language is to convey a message. if a message is conveyed, mission accomplished.

The message received depends on how it is delivered. You lose my respect if you don't make an attempt to write properly, and I discount your opinion. THAT is why it is important.

Canuckkev said:
The message received depends on how it is delivered. You lose my respect if you don't make an attempt to write properly, and I discount your opinion. THAT is why it is important.
that is true, which is why you also have to consider what medium is being used and its purpose. (and sometimes, you have to consider time constraints, or space); sometimes its worth chastising, but others it's not worth the time nor effort.

examples:

1) school children passing notes with 'bad english.' there's no real harm, and there's no real reason to use proper language for something as meaningness as notes. (and as a plus, any teacher who picks it up will have troubles deciphering the note... you can, however, argue that writing in bad english might become habit and encourage it) . . . this example can also be extended to text messages. a message is conveyed, good.

2) taking notes for a class. writing in formal englsih would lag you down; shorthand/slang writing would actually be an advantage here.

3) emergencies. do you really need to waste the time to keep the formalities ("there is a fire at <address>, please hurry with assistance") as opposed to ("FIRE @ <address> HELP PLZ.").

4) space constraints: making signs and posters, you want to keep the reader attentive. You bore him, you lose. "There is an open house at <address> from 3 P.M. to 5 P.M." versus "Open House @ <address> / 3PM-5PM." . . . . it's even been used in presidential campaigns, hasn't it? "Vote 4 ...."

different 'styles' of writing is slightly comparable to 'dialects' of english. the only difference is there is a rule-set to writing, none to dialect/no correct dialect...but in both cases, as long as a message and idea is conveyed...

Last edited:
you can't control how other people type
The only thing you can do is to get used to the words they type

just like it's impossible for your teacher to ask you to get 100% for all subjects and their tests...

Can we also put an end to those who are downright rude to other members because of the way they write? If you don't like it, move on to another thread ;)

LiquidGoat I believe we see eye to eye on this issue. :)

Awhile back I began enforcing a set of rules on my forum that just banned internet shorthand (u in place of you and similar) completely. Of course there are those who ignore the rules and they are banned quite quickly for their efforts too.

It is annoying and causes misunderstandings with those that aren't native english speakers sometimes.

1) school children passing notes with 'bad english.' there's no real harm, and there's no real reason to use proper language for something as meaningness as notes. (and as a plus, any teacher who picks it up will have troubles deciphering the note... you can, however, argue that writing in bad english might become habit and encourage it) . . . this example can also be extended to text messages. a message is conveyed, good.

You mean a teacher cannot figure out what "u" represents?

2) taking notes for a class. writing in formal englsih would lag you down; shorthand/slang writing would actually be an advantage here.

That's odd, because in my 7 classes, I take notes everyday in correct spelling and I have no problem and I'm not a fast writer either.

3) emergencies. do you really need to waste the time to keep the formalities ("there is a fire at <address>, please hurry with assistance") as opposed to ("FIRE @ <address> HELP PLZ.").

Ok, I'll let you have this one. The next time you have to mail a note to notify of an immediate emergency, this will work best.

4) space constraints: making signs and posters, you want to keep the reader attentive. You bore him, you lose. "There is an open house at <address> from 3 P.M. to 5 P.M." versus "Open House @ <address> / 3PM-5PM." . . . . it's even been used in presidential campaigns, hasn't it? "Vote 4 ...."

That's using less words, not hacking the ones you do use.

Back