• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

First Impressions of Sydney (2 weeks post arrival)

Conscript

NLC
NLC
Well as I mentioned a while back ago I am going to be attending Macquarie University in Sydney for the year to get my masters.

I arrived two weeks ago exactly and I wanted to share some of the things I noticed. Those who want to visit here, especially from the USA where I am from, may want to take note and consider these things during their planning.

First of all, the winter here is great. It gets cold at night but during the day its usually fine. I have not had the need to wear a full coat the entire time. With that said, THERE IS NO CENTRAL HEATING in any apartment I have been to.

My first night at my own place was so cold I slept under two blankets and in a sweater, and I was still kind of chilly. I could've sworn it was colder than the outside!

After asking around some people who live around here, apparently no one has central heating or air conditioning. I took those things for granted as they are standard in the USA where most people keep their homes 74 degrees (23 celsius) year 'round. With a space heater my room is now as toasty as I like it, but going out to the kitchen or living room is a pain as those are like refrigerators at night.

My girlfriend's roommates actually walk around in boots and a coat indoors. In the United States, at least in Chicago, it would be a CRIMINAL OFFENSE (Offence, for you Australians :)) to rent an apartment or room without heating. No joke. You would literally be either fined up the bum or even tossed in jail for something like this in the USA (and your reputation would be forever stained as a slum lord).

I hope in the summer adequate cooling can be also purchased inexpensively, because if my room reaches 76 (around 24.5 celsius) and I don't have a way to cool it down there will be ISSUES.

The next thing I notice, and I had some warning ahead of time about this, was that everything closes around 5 PM on weekdays, and is open even shorter on weekends. So if you want to do any shopping, other than groceries, you will have to do it early in the day.

The only exception is Thursday when things are open till about 9 PM (I heard this is because Thursdays are pay day in most companies). In the USA I was used to going shopping in the evenings as most things were open till 9 PM all week, and even LONGER on Saturdays (like 10 or 11 PM).

So far the people all seemed very nice and patient. I witnessed someone crossing the street on a red light and the driver approaching the intersection simply stopped and then moved on. No flipping off, no honking. That was very different for sure. I did hear some honking so far, but maybe a handful of times (and I've been doing a lot of walking). So road rage seems more in check here. Also people drive smaller cars.

Brings me up to the next point: HILLS. Its very hilly in Sydney. I was used to Chicago's flatness. It's quite a workout to walk even one mile (1.6km). In Chicago it could be done without breaking a sweat since the roads are flat, not to mention you could also SEE what is ahead one mile away. This is not possible in Sydney due to the terrain. It's quite a challenge getting adjusted to since I wasn't in such great shape. On the bright side by the time I return I will be in great shape for sure!

Lastly, a lot of things are very expensive here. Some things are about the same or not too much more, but others are ridiculously overpriced. For example, Cup Noodles soups are around 80 cents at woolworths (75 cents in US dollars), where as in the USA they were around 50-60 cents depending where you got them. Other things, like Coca Cola are WAY more expensive. A 2 liter bottle in my local supermarket back home cost 99 cents. Here a 1.25 liter can easy run $3+.

Overall I am pretty happy here. It wasn't much of a culture shock yet, but then again I haven't really met any Australians, mostly just other foreigners. I guess once school begins that will change. I do like the city and what I have seen so far and I think it will be a good year! :)

For those of you in the area, I live in Marsfield by Macquarie University (North Ryde, Epping, Eastwood, etc. are all nearby as well as the Macquarie Centre) so if you are in the area and want to meet up let me know! I could use some real Australian friends since in the two weeks I have been here I haven't met many outside of store clerks and such!

lol.. welcome to Oz :p

I dunno what slum you moved into :p but a hell of alot of people have centeral heating. Not that its needed too often, especially in the northern states wich has the opposite effect of the further NTH you go, the more houses have Air Conditioning.
What im saying is basically your assessment that nobody has AC or Ducted heating is wrong, but generally the standard house heating is enough. Your just new here and not used to it yet :p

You will not like summer at all. Your room without cooling is likely to reach in excess of 40! So go get yourself a portable AC! Not a fan or ice cooler, a real AC. You will need it.

The shops are open till 5 - 5:30 Mon, Tues and Wednesday, Generally 9 Thurs Fri and Sat, and Sunday is unpredictable.

Youll see a bit of Road Rage now and then, ut not like you will in Ney York for example, but people get shot and stabbed now and then in these incidents, but not often.

You say you have mostly met foreigners? Well guess what, they are Australians. We are rather multicultural, not so much in Sydney as Melbourne, but still, its there. Im sure alot of the actual "Australians" you will meet have some sort of foreign relation in the last generation or 2 :D
Who knows, maybe you move back here and have some Aussie kids of your own one day :D

Welcome to Australia and glad u like it. But as i said, be prepared for summer, it may send you home packing!! :p

Wait, wait, what?

You said you are in Sydney and there's no road rage? In SYDNEY? Are you serious? Everytime I've been to Sydney, all I see is jerks swerving and roaring past and honking at each other. In Sydney, if you want to let someone in, you even honk at them then. So weird!

Anyway, I like going to Sydney. And it sounds like you are shopping in the wrong places - $3 for a 1.25 of Coke? Are you shopping at 7-11 or something? :eek:

If you buy Coke in a food court or convenience store it's expensive, but if you go to the supermarket and buy it off the shelf it's a lot better.

Also that's weird, in Brisbane hardly anyone has central heating. Even though it's been really cold this year.

And yes, those people aren't "foreigners", they're Australians :). We are a very multicultural and diverse nation -- I think much moreso than America?

And yep - brace yourself for summer! It's harsh and can be totally dreadful. Muggy heat, and nights so hot it's difficult to sleep. Definitely don't skimp here and get an air conditioner, it'll become your most loved possession! :lol:

And yes, those people aren't "foreigners", they're Australians :). We are a very multicultural and diverse nation -- I think much moreso than America?

Moreso than Canada? :p

I play the trump card!

Though to be honest; GTA is looking more and more like china/india.....

And yes, those people aren't "foreigners", they're Australians :). We are a very multicultural and diverse nation --
Absolutely. I like sitting watch the passers by and trying to pick the Aussies out of the crowd :D

Glad you are liking it so far Conscript and welcome! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome guys!

fnixws, are you from Sydney or another city? I have been to several people's places and they all use space heaters for heat so I know its not just where I am staying. Also people were saying the summer gets hot but not that humid around here. I wonder who is right on this! lol. I am used to Chicago's humid hot days, which I just escaped from, so it wouldn't be something I couldn't deal with, but I do want to be prepared.

I wonder if I should maybe purchase an air conditioner now in preparation for the summer. Would it be cheaper that way?

Anyways, a few more observations: Internet is very slow and limited. I am on a 1mbps connection, which is horrible compared to the 16mbps I had back home (which also had no bandwidth limit).

What I meant by talking to mostly other foreigners I mean people I have met through the university and the housing here who are all here less than a year or two (some also just arrived like me). I do realize that in a diverse country anyone who lives here permanently is technically Australian no matter how they look. The USA is the same way, to what degree compared to Australia I don't know, but I also call myself American even though I was born in Poland.

So far so good I must say. I hope to travel around in the summer and see the rest of the country as well! :)

Im in Melbourne man.
Really, it depends on the age of the houses. I have a "Space Heater", my parents have both centeral/ducted and a space heater. I have a standard AC, they have centeralised evaporative cooling.

Most of my close friends have some form of AC, not many have fully ducted heating tho. Its unnessecary :p

Internet sucks here. Its rather hard to find a good plan, the best youll get is 1.5mb unlimited or 8 - 24mbit with a crappy limit of 50 - 100gb and when it comes to the bill, you might as well remove ya pants and bend over!! :p

you might as well remove ya pants and bend over!!
You can do that to pay for internet now?
Dam, I have been getting ripped off paying 150$/month when I can just do that.

Back