• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

finally...

CareBear

NLC
NLC
My Microsoft software subscription finally came through.. I kept being sceptical of it until the last minute but it's all there... WinXP Pro, OfficeXP Pro, Encarta 2003 (not that I have much use for that) and Visual Studio .NET 2002 all in downloadable iso format :)

People can say what they like about "M$" but offering all that to students at $50 is a very nice gesture :)

$50!!!!! Where do you get it? I am a student too. BTW, your PM box is full.

Last edited:
lol I was busy clearing them while you posted your second reply.. it doesn't make me see the reply any sooner :p

The 'project' is called "OOPS!" here, it's part of MSDNAA.. it was started this year as a way for college and uni students to get cheap (and legal) access to Microsoft software.
The catch is that you don't get a normal license.. the software is free, you just pay for the download cost (that's what the $50 is for) but you just have a "right of use".
For example you can make your homework in Office but you're - technically - not allowed to use it for a resume since that's not a commercial and not educational purpose. Another advantage however is that you can install it on multiple computers without having to pay again (the one at home, the one at your dorm and possible your laptop).

I don't know if it exists in any other country though sorry :(.. you'll have to check with the university/college you're attending if a similar program exists there.
If your studies involve IT in the broad sense of the term and your school is part of MSDN-AA then you should be able to just walk up to them and request a copy of any software that's part of it though. I know that's a worldwide program: http://msdnaa.net/ and http://www.microsoft.com/education/

Most universities around here do the academic pricing...it's made for the universities to buy in bulk for computer labs but there is apparently a clause in the contract that allows them to resell them. That's how I got Windows 2000, Windows XP and Office XP for $15...total.

Originally posted by shizzle
Notnamed, can you get me one? I'll paypal the money!

It' again MSDN's rules to sell or give software that you purchase at a discounted rate.

Failure to follow those rules could result in the student being removed from the university/college.

Damnit. Oh well... Anyone else know where I can get Cheap XP? I can get XP Pro for $100 as my mom is a teacher. But I don't have $100.

Damnit. Oh well... Anyone else know where I can get Cheap XP? I can get XP Pro for $100 as my mom is a teacher. But I don't have $100.

Maybe not $100 bucks, but you sure as heck do have a Mom!

Do your parents use the computer as well? :confused: Otherwise I'd try to "nudge" them into maybe paying for part of the upgrade cost?

& you got ripped off notnamed :p They're actually not even allowed to charge for the software unless the price was for the actual CD's and "labour".

Carebear, since you don't have much use for Encarta, would you mind giving it to me? :cool:

Microsoft does seem pretty generous. My dad actually got this copy of XP Pro for free at APEC. Microsoft was handing them out to everyone.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Carebear, since you don't have much use for Encarta, would you mind giving it to me? :cool:
Besides moral reasons (well the keys are linked to my name as well :p) there's two other problems: no way I can upload 1.8Gb to someone with my ISP (would have to be spread out over 3-4 months) and it's in Dutch so I doubt you'd have much use for it sorry.

I just bypass those rules, those download fees, and the purchase cost. It is amazing what one can find for free on the internet ;)

if you go to those BIG computer conventions you usually can pick up windows xp pro or another microsoft product.

Originally posted by Gayowulf
I just bypass those rules, those download fees, and the purchase cost. It is amazing what one can find for free on the internet ;)
You can loose a whole lot of time searching for it though.. the speed I'm getting is about 600kb/s and no queuing up :p
Besides someone has to fill Bill Gates' pockets :D

I wonder what would happen if I get the "software police" knocking on my door one day though:
"can we see your WinXP license please?"
"License? Oh.. see.. I don't have one.. I just downloaded the iso files and burnt them to a blank CD"
"I see.. please come with us"
"but they're legal copies!"
"That's what they all say" & then the sound of cuffs being slapped on :D

Guess I'd better not loose the piece of paper with the company's name and the license keys on it :confused2

It's great when you have friends who work for companies with corporate licenses :biggrin2:

Originally posted by CareBear
Besides moral reasons (well the keys are linked to my name as well :p) there's two other problems: no way I can upload 1.8Gb to someone with my ISP (would have to be spread out over 3-4 months) and it's in Dutch so I doubt you'd have much use for it sorry.
I was just joking. :p

Back