• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Explanation of why "unlimited" bandwidth cannot exist

Archbob

Level 8 Chinese Guy
NLC
Okay, people, this concept is quite simple.

Bandwidth=money
Unlimited Bandwidth= Unlimited Money

A company cannot provide you a hosting solution for $10/month(average unlimited hosting price) that would cost them an unlimited amount of money.

Therefore an "unlimited" host can, in no way, be "unlimited" in reality.

We've already gone through this a million times. Some people just won't believe it anyway no matter what you tell 'em.

Host company that offer unlimited bandwidth should rephrase unlimited to unmetered. But most people gets it when web host says unlimited.

Originally posted by Vegsa
Host company that offer unlimited bandwidth should rephrase unlimited to unmetered.
I disagree. They shouldn't use either phrase as neither is actually true. If someone wasusing 50 gigs on an "unmetered" account I know for a fact the host would say something.

yea you're right, i know a couple of people get their account closed cause they used more than the host expected.

I agree with Phrozen...those terms should NOT be used.

Unmetered is just plain misleading, just as unlimited is.
Its known that its a cheap marketing ploy to draw customers in.
Buyer beware ;)

Despite disagreements, unlimited and unmetered are the same. And both are a crock of shit. Some people cannot seem to believe that it is impossible to offer unlimited because unlimited hard drives and bandwidth does not exist.

I was once a victim of the unlawfully used term scheme myself. If anybody wanted to use a term that attracts customers without lying to them, they should used "uncharged bandwidth." People want lots of bandwidth, but don't want to pay for lots of it. This way, they get what they want.

Its much cheaper just to pre-pay for bulk bandwidth. If bought by the GIG, it usually comes to at least $2/gig(thats what companies charge for extra usage at least) but if you buy in bulk from companies like tera-byte, you can get 50 cents/gig.

If you buy in high volume, bandwidth comes down to 75, 50 cents and even less per gig but thats still not free. If you buy 300 gigs, chance re you still pay about 1-2 dollars a gig.. figure your average client uses 3 gigs a month with a standard devation of only about 2 gigs but along comes John Q. User who uses 25 gigs, thats gonna raise your over all average, cause you to go ove ryour monthly limit and therefore you have too buy way more bandwidth. If you have 5 Joe Q Users, you have a real problem as now, 5 people are using up 125 gigs of bandwidth, almost half the allotment which use to serve nearly a hundred... its simple math, hosts cant afford to get high bandwidth users unless they pay for that bandwidth.

I've seen companies get bandwidth for as low as 33 cents/GIG at the min price, these companies all claim to be located near a provider station, which makes sense.

At the risk of sounding stupid..

Is bandwidth ONLY the traffic on your website itself? Or does it include e-mail traffic and/or FTP uploads?

Besides, bandwidth is in a direct correlation to speed, and there is no such thing as the infinite bps connection. I think the fastest connection right now is about OC-192 (I haven't been paying attention much), and even that has its limitations, and therefore unlimited bandwidth cannot exist without an infinite connection.

I was just reading through this post and read that alot of you dont like unmetered bandwidth which is something I provide. I do make a point to make sure that users are aware that unmetered isn't unlimited, that leads to abuse, but I was thinking, my provider cost around $1/gig, I'll have to check up on it to give an exact figure, but I was wondering if a hosting plan where you can define how much space and bandwidth you need would be more appealing to someone with a small biz, like instead of a fixed plan with like 25mb of space and 2 gigs of traffic, someone with a high volume low space site could order 10mb of space and 5gigs of bandwidth. Would that be better for people or small biz?

Back